Sugar, Honey, Brown Sugar... The taste test.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewin_CRAZY

Reaction score
About 8 months ago we started 50 gallons of home pressed cider. Of those we did what we normally do and added sugar to bring up the SG of some and left some to just be natural hard cider. However with 15 gallons of it we decided to try some new sugars. three 5 gallon carboys were filled with fresh pressed apple juice then each had its specific addition. One was Brown sugar, one was honey, and one was just plan old cane sugar. Time has gone by, our cider is done and bottled and this is the verdict.

Cane Sugar: Estimated ABV: 11-12%
No different than regular sugar. Amazing taste, mildly fruity definitely could offend some palates. Alcohol almost smells like vodka was added, but not to strong for an average drinker. Probably not for light drinkers or first time cider drinkers. Would make again.

Brown Sugar:Estimated ABV: 9-10%
Very strange taste, not fruity at all, the brown sugar really took over the taste of the cider. We were quite disappointing with this one. Still had enough alcohol to kick you in the pants but the taste just wasnt what we like in cider. Almost smokey, just gave it a really weird taste.

Honey: Estimated ABV: 11-12%
HOLY CRAP, why didnt we try this sooner. Best cider we have ever made. Similar to the sugar but has a much sweeter taste, a lot more smooth going down, but not any more fruity. My fiance couldnt drink the sugar but liked the honey and they are the same abv. Just amazing, gotta savor every last drop of this stuff.

Just thought I would make a little post of our long term experiment. I would definitely recommend people try the addition of honey to their cider.

My first, and only cider was 3 gallons of juice and 2lbs of honey, I carbed in and bottled in Belgian style bottles with champagne corks. The still cider tasted amazing at bottling and it's been in the bottles for about 6 weeks now, I'm really struggling to hang on and try this later.

Two thumbs up for cider with honey.

Oh yea, and the cider made with the honey was the most clear of the three, it was strange. Not really sure why but that was just how it turned out.

The cost depends on where you buy and what type of honey. Costco and Sames sells huge containers for cheap.

Kevin

What type of honey did you use? How much of each sugar did you add to each 5 gallon carboy? How long did it age?

What type of honey did you use? How much of each sugar did you add to each 5 gallon carboy? How long did it age?

Well, its not really an amount. After we press our apples We purchased a huge thing of organic honey at Costco and add honey until our SG is at 1.090-1.100 (pref 1.10). Depending on the apples and the year sometimes we dont need to add much, sometimes we need to add a lot. I have it written down somewhere but im not sure where of exactly how much we added, it was a fair amount.

We ferment/age the cider until dryness, which takes between 6-8 months (hence the reason that we do so much at once) gotta keep the stock pile up.

Once done we bottle in wine bottles, cork, and let it sit for another week after bottling allowing the corks to settle.

Well, its not really an amount. After we press our apples We purchased a huge thing of organic honey at Costco and add honey until our SG is at 1.090-1.100 (pref 1.10). Depending on the apples and the year sometimes we dont need to add much, sometimes we need to add a lot. I have it written down somewhere but im not sure where of exactly how much we added, it was a fair amount.

We ferment/age the cider until dryness, which takes between 6-8 months (hence the reason that we do so much at once) gotta keep the stock pile up.

Once done we bottle in wine bottles, cork, and let it sit for another week after bottling allowing the corks to settle.

I'm curious to know what section of Costco you found the honey in and how much honey it was. The only thing i've seen at costco was three 1.5# bears of honey for like $13 which works out to about $2.90/lb. Not bad, but if they sell jugs of honey I haven't been finding I'd like to know, I'm experimenting with a couple of gallons of cyser at the moment.

I'm curious to know what section of Costco you found the honey in and how much honey it was. The only thing i've seen at costco was three 1.5# bears of honey for like $13 which works out to about $2.90/lb. Not bad, but if they sell jugs of honey I haven't been finding I'd like to know, I'm experimenting with a couple of gallons of cyser at the moment.

Yea they sell jugs. Im trying to think where it is, probably near the breakfast stuff, not sure tho. Just ask an employee. But ours came in like two huge jugs, I think around a half gallon each. I want to experiment with some cyser with this years pressing.

I got a half gallon size at Costco and was next to the jellies/jam/peanut butters. My last cider had 4 gallons of apple juice, 1 lb honey, .5 lbs of molasses and turned out quiet tasty. First one the SWMBO has really liked.

I usually use honey in my ciders to raise the SG. I will ferment to dryness in primary, add the honey in secondary (2.5-3.5 oz/gal) and let it slowly ferment to dryness again with Pasteur Champagne yeast. I will then bottle after about 2-3 weeks in secondary. The SG is usually at 1.008 or under. The cider will continue to ferment for a bit carbonating it. It takes a bit, at least a month in bottle to get some fizz. If you can hold on to it it just gets better. I think unfiltered honey gives a better flavor profile. Have fun!

I have done a little toying around myself with the brown and white sugar, but not too much with honey. I am doing a three gallon batch and it has fermented in the primary now for two weeks (brown/white sugar was added to start). Last night I racked my cider over to the secondary and added honey at that point. My question for you is how was I supposed to add the honey? I used warm tap water to make the honey more liquidy, and added it as I racked the cider. This morning all the honey has sepperated and formed on the bottom in the same way lees forms.

Was I supposed to do it a different way, can I fix this? If there is any help that would be greatly apreciated. I wasnt sure if I was supposed to leave it like this "in layers" for a few months or if it was supposed to me mixed "as one".

I believe the yeasties would eventually digest the honey on the bottom. If you want to stir it in I would get a "wine degasser". It attaches to an electric drill and will go into your carboy. Be careful because it will likely foam drastcially if you stir too hard too fast.

Thats what I was thinking, but I wasnt sure if that would disturb the cider too much or not. Just curious what the best course of action would be, either to let it sit, or "degas" it. Do you think it makes a difference one way or the other?

marsolek84,

I would just leave it. Honey is 100% fermentable so those yeasties will eventually tear through the honey.

marsolek84,

I would just leave it. Honey is 100% fermentable so those yeasties will eventually tear through the honey.

Awesome. Just a NUB at this so I may be a little paranoid. I will just let this batch sit for a few months and see what happens.

On the topic of honey, and consumable sugars, is there a difference between clove honey and bees honey, other than where they come from?

is there a difference between clover honey and bees honey, other than where they come from?

All honey is bee's honey. Clover honey just designates the source of the nectar collected by the bees to make the honey.

Honey bees gather nectar, add enzymes to it, store it in honey comb in the hive and evaporate moisture until it reaches approximately 15%, then put a wax cap over the cell to seal it.

Each nectar source produces a uniquely flavored honey.

Really interested in doing this to Ed Wort's recipe. I wish I knew how much to add.

Honey: Estimated ABV: 11-12%
HOLY CRAP, why didnt we try this sooner. Best cider we have ever made. Similar to the sugar but has a much sweeter taste, a lot more smooth going down, but not any more fruity. My fiance couldnt drink the sugar but liked the honey and they are the same abv. Just amazing, gotta savor every last drop of this stuff.

I'm really interested in making a 5 gallon batch of Honey Cider. Do you have a basic reciepe that you followed, how much honey, etc.? Thanks for any and all help.

Good to see another Portland person on here too!

Really interested in doing this to Ed Wort's recipe. I wish I knew how much to add.

I've usually used 1-2 pounds per batch in addition to the dextrose.

I've got one cookin right now that has 5 pounds, anxious to see how that turns out:D

Back