Sugar distribution in apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulianDave

Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not the only one that's noticed that the blossom end of most apples is sweeter than the stem end. At least with many of the store bought apples I've tried.

I wonder if anyone ever used that fact to make a cider using only the sweeter ends. You'd obviously need a good supply of apples and some time on your hands. Or would the result not be much different than freezing/thawing the juice to make a concentrate that way?

I haven't noticed, but I think the labor and waste of splitting the apples could be replaced by using sweeter apples or adding other sugars if desired.
If you try it, please post your results.

Store bought apples are usually picked before they're fully ripe, so they may not be uniform in ripeness as you have noticed. To get the full potential out of apples for cider, I think they need to be allowed to be fully tree ripened. Further, you can leave them to sweat for a while also, which lets some of the water evaporate out of them and further concentrates the sugar.

I think they need to be allowed to be fully tree ripened. Further, you can leave them to sweat for a while also, which lets some of the water evaporate out of them and further concentrates the sugar.
We live next to an orchard, and for years we have waited till cold weather is set in to pick whats been missed during harvest. They are the sweetest apples I've ever had. Have made great pie filling and sauces/ butters. trying a cider this year. the fresh pressed is awesome. Hard stuff is in a 2nd at 6.7%.

Back