Sugar beets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting question. I thought all sugar beets were grown under contract for , well, sugar production.

Just out of curiosity, how do you use them?

I'm also wondering why you want some? They're all harvested and sitting in massive dumps around me for the GW sugar plants.

Well.... I haven't yet. But, growing up outside US people were eating this thick dark sweet syrup made out of sugar beets. It makes me wonder if that is in any way same as the belgian candi sugar. The only way to know it is to try it, I guess. I might be a couple months too late from the harvest. Or, there still might be some somewhere south or california, that sells at some specialty shops...

Hmm, sounds like molasses. "Real" molasses is made from sugar cane. The stuff from sugar beets is psuedo-molasses.

Well, the more I think about it, the more I think it might be on the right track... What would the monks use hundreds years ago for making their beer, considering that technology was not as advanced. It has to be simple

There is a history of using molasses, or treacle, in beer. Going back at least to the 18th century. Sounds like treacle is preferred because of lower sulphur.

It's my understanding candi-sugar is sugar derived from beets and then made into the candi form. You can buy beet sugar from the store. It is usually the cheaper sugar at the store, not marked cane sugar. There is a thread on how to make candi-sugar.

Brewtah said:
It's my understanding candi-sugar is sugar derived from beets and then made into the candi form. You can buy beet sugar from the store. It is usually the cheaper sugar at the store, not marked cane sugar. There is a thread on how to make candi-sugar.

The beet sugar at the store is already processed as well...

Back