Sudden yeast taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shtank

Reaction score
This is the second batch that this has happened with. After about two weeks in the kegerator the beer takes on a yeast flavor and progressively gets worse. I'm thinking it has to be an infection of some sort. I made a batch in between these that was perfect so Im confused what could be the cause. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

This is the second batch that this has happened with. After about two weeks in the kegerator the beer takes on a yeast flavor and progressively gets worse. I'm thinking it has to be an infection of some sort. I made a batch in between these that was perfect so Im confused what could be the cause. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

I'm confused, too. The beer tastes good for a couple of weeks in the kegerator and then turns "yeasty"?

Anything else? Any color change, funny smell, etc?

I'm thinking if it's an infection, something else would change too. For example, pedio infection tastes sort of buttery/slick like diacteyl. If it's lacto, the beer would turn hazy/milky.

Is it bread-like? Or more like "bad yeast"?

No color change. Smells like it tastes.....yeasty! My beer always has a haze until about 4 weeks in the kegerator. More bad yeast.

No color change. Smells like it tastes.....yeasty! My beer always has a haze until about 4 weeks in the kegerator. More bad yeast.

Is there anything about the yeast that might cause this? Like underpitching for those two batches, or using the same strain/washed yeast?

I'm trying and trying to think of what would cause this and not coming up with much at all.

Have you tried taking your taps apart and soaking them, making sure they are really clean? I'm sure you have but just checking. Change the beer lines? How about cleaning the keg dip tubes with a brush?

Did you run a line cleaning solution through the lines? Sanitizer? Odd that it would be noticable in batch 1 and 3, not 2... I think that Yooper and EoinMag are on the right track here. What's similar between batches 1 & 3 that's different from batch 2?

This happened to my first batch in bottles. I sucked up too much trub in the bottling bucket. I noticed the yeastiness corresponded with a large yeast colony in the bottom of the bottles. After 3 weeks it was about 1/8 inch thick!

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

The first batch was an oatmeal porter with Nottingham yeast. The third was American ale. I just installed a new coffin box with brand new lines and faucets so I don't think it's that. I don't have a brush to clean the dip tube I always run some oxy clean through it then starzan. Oh and I even ran my third batch through a filter so I don't think its a residual yeast problem but I could be wrong. I tried to drink both of them last night and they have the same off smells and flavors. So I have 2 kegs I'm pry gonna dump.

Let's just say it was the dip tube being dirty. Does that mean it would be some
Form of a bacteria at play here?

I guess it could be. Slot of gunk builds up in those tubes and could be bacteria giving you those yeasty tastes. I don't know much about it but when I cleaned mine for the first time, they were very dirty.

Seems pretty straight forward to me... After a little while in the kegerator, the yeast in suspension fell to the bottom... right where your keg's dip tube picks up from.

Have you tried to pour a second glass from the keg after the first of the day yeasty glass? I bet the second is less yeasty than the first.... and the third would be nice and clear... no?

I'm not very experienced yet, but I would pour me a mason jar full and put a lid on it, set it in the frig and see if any yeast settles out. Then after a couple days tast it and see if it's any better.

Dont dump yet. I would think after 2 weeks in the keg cold and having a few pints the beer would have cleared up. The yeast will set hard down there in that time and wont be sucked up I would think. Having ran one of your beers through a filter and still having problems , I dont know but maybe you are picking up something somewhere. I bet its the dip tubes.

I didn't think the yeast would have made it through filter. I will fill up a mason jar tonight and see what happens. I thought if you put the beer in a fridge all the yeast would drop from the cold temp (crashing) and all my dip tubes are cut about an inch off the bottom.

Get yourself something like PBW and give the whole system a good soak with warm water, that'll move crud in nooks and crannies you can't see.

Back