Sucked 3 week old blowoff water into fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagmanm

Reaction score
I just brewed my fist 10 gallon batch in a conical fermenter this month. Being too excited and moving to fast I made a huge mistake yesterday. When beginning to move the finished beer to a keg and bottling bucket, I forgot to pull the blow off tube out of the carboy I was using for to hold starsan water mixture. As soon as I noticed I ripped the tube out and stopped. From pictures I can see I sucked in about 1" of 3 week old blow off water, this is probably around 1/2 a gallon. I was so pissed off, but managed to finish kegging and bottling. Should I trash this batch? I feel like I taste it in the beer now when I take a sample, but that could be all in my head.

If it's Starsan, I bet it's fine. If anything got in the blowoff solution, it's very likely very dead. 1/2 gallon of solution in 10 gallons isn't a whole lot. You probably won't be able to taste it.

After making similar mistakes, I started using only a teeny tiny amount of Starsan solution in my blowoff container - so little that it wouldn't even fill the blowoff hose if it tries to do a suckback.

The alcohol in the finished beer should fight off nasties. I recommend you draw a pint for a friend and ask him/her what (s)he thinks. Ask them to give honest feedback no feelings spared to see if the pond water is perceptible. Due to the placebo effect, at this point your taste buds can't be trusted.

I recommend removing the blowoff from the fermenter vs the carboy. (I use a growler). I find pulling the fermenter side eliminates sucking pond water into the beer

This is why I put my Starsan in a margarine cup with maybe 3/4 inch in the bottom. All you need is enough to keep the end of the blow off tube submerged. If I get suck-back the most that could get into the fermenter is about a cup!!!!

As already said, your beer should be fine, unless the blow off solution was really dirty.

Back