Suck back from blowoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TastyAdventure

Reaction score
Went on vacation and left my house temp set to 62 F for 3 Days. It was at 71 F before.
When I get home my fermentor was in process of slowly sucking sanitizer (starsan solution) in through the blowoff tube.
By my estimate it sucked in about 1-2 oz.
also concerned about oxygen that could have come in with it,...
Think it’s ok?

How do you prevent oxygen coming into your fermentor when you cold crash?

By using one of these

IMG_1026.jpg

Yes. I made it based on a commercial example. I used a lamp kit (threaded rods and nuts) along with o-rings, Mason jars, tubing, and an air lock I had on hand.

Active fermentation pushes the water from the right jar into the left jar, then cold crash moves the water from the left jar to the right one. No way to get liquid from the jars into the fermenter.

Yes. I made it based on a commercial example. I used a lamp kit (threaded rods and nuts) along with o-rings, Mason jars, tubing, and an air lock I had on hand.

Active fermentation pushes the water from the right jar into the left jar, then cold crash moves the water from the left jar to the right one. No way to get liquid from the jars into the fermenter.

As someone who fails at DIY more often than not, do you know where the commercial product is sold? Lol

I have access to 30L food grade plastic jerry cans at work so YMMV, but I drill the lids to take grommeted air locks and when I'm ready to cold crash I swap the lid for a regular one so it is sealed. Fermentation is usually stupidly slow/steady if occurring at all at this point and as cold crash only takes a few hours to get it down to 0-3C so I'm not worried about them exploding. They do pull a slight vacuum however and when I open them to transfer they suck a little air. Might make some fancier lids with built in racking cane, tap and speed fit connector with a gas in post so I can just put a little top pressure on and do closed keg fills as a future project.

Is there enough co2 “captured” to ensure the fermenter does not run out of co2 then start sucking o2 in the fermenter while you cold crash? I do think it is awesome not to worry about sucking starsan in the fermenter during cold crash. Just unsure if it will keep the o2 out of fermenter during cold crash.

That contraption is awesome!!
No. It’s not the O2 you have to worry about sucking in.
For O2 to be sucked in, the trapped CO2 would have to be pushed out. Since CO2 is heavier than air that would not happen unless it was forced down into the CO2 blanket at an abnormal rate to displace the blanket.

Many Breweries do open fermentation’s without worries of o2 causing it to go bad because there is always that blanket of trapped CO2

Since CO2 is heavier than air that would not happen unless it was forced down into the CO2 blanket at an abnormal rate to displace the blanket.

That "CO2 blanket" is a myth. In reality, gases mix readily which is a good thing, or else we wouldn't have any O2 here on the surface to breath.

Open fermentation works because active yeast consume O2.

That "CO2 blanket" is a myth. In reality, gases mix readily which is a good thing, or else we wouldn't have any O2 here on the surface to breath.

Open fermentation works because active yeast consume O2.

But there is always winds to mix air. And maybe in a closed fermentation bucket with no air movement the CO2 can mostly be a blanket?

I don't have a picture of this at the moment, but I'll try to explain what I made. I bought a brass valve, installed two hose barbs in it, shoved one of the barbes in a stopper (i made this tight, like stopper stuck to valve tight), and run a hose from the other barb to my co2 cylinder regulator. I will pull my regular stopper out of the carboy (Fermonster), purge the top with co2, put cold crash stopper in, and drop temp. I will check it often the first day or so, and if the carboy is sucked in a bit, I feed it a LITTLE co2 if I need to. I have my regulator set as low as I can flow gas, and quickly open and close the regulator output valve until the carboy is back to its original shape. I do not pressurize the carboy. I am not responsible in any way if someone else uses this method and a carboy has catastrophic failure due to human actions or equipment breakdown.

Can give a link to the lamp kit you used? From the picture, they don't look like they're completely threaded which would be ideal but I can't seem to find any via Google or Amazon.

Thanks for sharing!

Back