Successful brew day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

18thstatebrew

Reaction score
Today I brewed an IPA. Im pretty hopeful that it will turn out great. Let me know what you think. Here's the recipe I came up with:

9.50 lb maris otter
1.50 lb munich
.50 lb caramel 20l
.50 lb carafoam
.75 lb honey malt
.50 lb flaked wheat

Hop schedule:

1 oz citra @ 60 min
1.50 oz citra @ 25 min
1 oz citra @ 15 min
1 oz citra @ 10 min
.50 oz citra @ 5 min
2 oz citra @ flameout

Also added an orange peel at 5 min. I was going for a citrusy summer IPA.

1.054 starting gravity
us-05 yeast

Mashed @ 152 for 60 min

image-756794539.jpg

Got a little over 6 gallons of wort

image-614962059.jpg

image-2414260430.jpg

image-246464938.jpg

This wort chiller is amazing. 6 gallons from boiling to 70 degrees in five minutes.

Attachments

• image-2984297948.jpg
    image-2984297948.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 248
Sweet recipe. I am gearing up to use Citra for the first time and all that Citra makes me drool!

Thanks. This is my 2nd attempt at this recipe. The first time i went way overboard with the hops. I thought this time it would be best to only use a single hop.

In my first attempt I used aromatic malt, but the home brew shop was out this time. So I decided to add the carafoam to the recipe instead of the aromatic. I know the carafoam isn't really a substitute for it, but I thought It might make a nice addition.

Oscbert said:
Isn't that what your were using in the pictures above? The thermominator?

To clarify, the one in the pic above belongs to my friend/brew partner. We have only got to use it a couple of times. We were doing the traditional ice bath that took an hour before we upgraded. I guess thats why I think so highly of it. I'm sure there are plenty of people that have one.

To clarify, the one in the pic above belongs to my friend/brew partner. We have only got to use it a couple of times. We were doing the traditional ice bath that took an hour before we upgraded. I guess thats why I think so highly of it. I'm sure there are plenty of people that have one.

That barefoot guy!!! Yeah I have a couple friends from my homebrew club that have one and they both like it. Only complaint they had was that hops would get clogged in it. I think they figured out a fix to that, but not sure what it was.

Oscbert said:
That barefoot guy!!! Yeah I have a couple friends from my homebrew club that have one and they both like it. Only complaint they had was that hops would get clogged in it. I think they figured out a fix to that, but not sure what it was.

Yep, he is the barefoot guy.
We were using hop pellets so we didn't have any issues with it getting clogged. But I'm sure if we were to use whole leaf hops it might be a problem.

blkandrust said:
Thanks for this thread,I was curious as to how that chiller performed using gravity.

Yeah gravity works just fine and it still only takes five to ten minutes to chill a 6 gallon batch.

Back