Success!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
I just tried the first bottle from my second batch and I am not dissapointed! Both batches were ecellent, now I am looking to expand my horizions; I saw somewhere in here about someone using oranges to add zest to their IPA, that is my next cook, could someone explain this to me?

Thanks!

Adjunct ingredients are fun to experiment with, and absolutely essential to creating some styles of beer. I see orange peel (as well as coriander) used most often in Belgian Wit style beers that are great for summertime drinking. For an IPA, there's really no need to add orange zest unless you really want that "over the top" orange flavor in your beer. Most of the high alpha hops strains have quite a bit of that bitter grapefruit/orange rind flavor. Since you're new, i'd google around for some recipes on beers that have the flavor profile you'd like to drink, and mimic that recipe in a small scale batch (5 gallons or less, maybe even a 1 gallon batch). Once you have the recipe down, modify it as you'd like or scale it up for a larger batch if you want more of that type of beer to drink. Brewer's software, like Beersmith 2.0, is good for scaling your recipes to the size you need. It'll do all of the math for you to convert a 5 gallon recipe to a 1 gallon recipe, or vice versa.

I recommend reading the Joy of home brewing. There is some good info on this.

Back