Substitutions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhedrick83

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking at taking the baby step going from a store bought partial mash kit to a recipe from Brewer's friend. I was looking at one of the recipes and checking it against what my LHBS stocks. They have everything except Pale Malt (6 Row) US and Wyeast Kolsch 2565 Yeast. In fact, they have no Kolsch yeasts at all. What would be good substitutions for those ingredients? Is there a good place to look up substitutions? In case it matters, here's the recipe:

Spotted Cow "Clone" | Cream Ale Partial Mash Beer Recipe at Brewer's Friend

Last edited:
Looks like the recipe is not shared, because it gives a permission error either using the link or the copied URL.

There are a lot of Spotted Cow Clone recipes in BF though, so maybe have a look at some of the others for suggestions? I'm not familiar with the beer, but the style is cream ale. You should be able to order WLP029 or WY2565 from an online source. Safale K-97 dry yeast is used for Kölsch sometimes as well.

6 row malt is what would have been used in the U.S. in earlier decades. I would just use regular 2 row.

Thanks, fixed the link. They don't have k-97 either, at least on their website. I always try to support local if I can, If I have to get it online, so be it.

Kolsch yeast is quite unique in the flavour profile you get, so a substitute won't be the same, but will still be good. Go with any clean ale yeast - if you can control ferment temperatures in the 62F to 65F range Nottingham (dry yeast) would be a good choice.

I would personally go with pilsner malt for a Kölsch. Makes a nice straw, golden color and flavor is great.

As far as yeast go, as stated above Kölsch yeast is very distinct and really drives the flavor of the beer. I would go with something that ferments super clean. Understanding though it won't have the flavor profile of the Kölsch

Latest posts

Back