Substitutions for victory malt or Munich LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm hoping to brew our "house" beer this week, and it's a Sawtooth Ale clone. My LHBS (not real local, about 45 minutes away) is usually lacking much of what I'm looking for, but I don't have time to order online and get it before Thanksgiving. Can someone look over this recipe, and tell me if there are any adequate substitutions if she doesn't have victory malt, or munich malt extract? Thanks!

Grain Bill:
1lb 40L Crystal
1/2 lb Victory (toasted)
3lbs Pale Extract
3lbs Munich Extract

Hop Bill:
1.5 oz Fuggle (45 min boil)
1.5 oz Golding (15 min boil)
1 oz Golding (end of boil)

I'll be trying to get some Safale s-04, if she has that. She only has a few liquid yeasts in at any given time.

Thanks again,
Lorena

Lorenae....

If you can get biscuit malt, that would be the first choice. Next would be equal amounts of aromatic and special roast, or if you can't get any of those, toast some munich. It will be very similar.

As for the extract, use all pale malt extract and then steep about a half pound or a pound of munich instead.

The munich has to be mashed, though, doesn't it? As does the Victory? Is just steeping those grains going to do her any good?

Lorena, have you ever done a partial mash? Looks like this might be a good time to try.

the_bird said:
The munich has to be mashed, though, doesn't it? As does the Victory? Is just steeping those grains going to do her any good?

Lorena, have you ever done a partial mash? Looks like this might be a good time to try.

If there is any doubt whatsoever regarding if the enzymes will convert in some of the adjunct grains, add a small amount (.5-1 lb.) of LME/DME extract in with the steeping grains. That will assist in conversion.

FWIW, munich malt will convert on its own.

Also, toasting your own 2-row would be an option for subing the victory. Won't be quite the same, but it should get the job done. Again, this will have to be mashed, though, as it will still have some starches after toasting. The enzymes, will however, be denatured and you will need something to convert it.

Matt

Thanks! I've called and left a message with my "list" and I'll call them later and see what they have. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll have most everything- but I doubt it. I asked the guy in the deli to go look when he has a chance. The LHBS is a combo gas station/wine store/ bait store with a few brewing supplies in the deli. You'd have to know the Northwoods of Wisconsin to really picture this in your mind. You can buy pool chemicals, beer making supplies, cheese, gas, fried chicken, beer/wine/liquor and bait.

I have done PM before, so I'm not too concerned about that. My cooler isn't set up yet, so I'll use my bottling bucket with a enormous mesh bag liner and cover it with a blanket to keep in the heat. It's primitive but it works. I made this recipe as written before, and it's my husband's all time favorite beer. It's probably classified as an ESB, but super smooth and rich. Thanks for all the suggestions- I'll let you know what I end up with.

Lorena

lorenae said:
You'd have to know the Northwoods of Wisconsin to really picture this in your mind. You can buy pool chemicals, beer making supplies, cheese, gas, fried chicken, beer/wine/liquor and bait.
No ammo? Back when I was in the mountains (Appalachian) 3 out of 4 weekends there was a little pizza parlor we used to eat at in a tiny VA town that was next door to the video rental/firearm store.

Are the ingredients fresh? Have you considered just ordering from Midwest or Northern Brewer?

Well, I called them back and they don't have really anything suitable! (And the ingredients are semi-fresh at best). I will go ahead and order from a mail order. I've ordered from Midwest, AHS, and Northern Brewer in the past, and had good results. No brewing for me before Thanksgiving after all- oh well.

And yes, they do have ammo. It's the middle of deer season here, so they also have deer corn and apples right next to the beer and ice. I love the Northwoods!

Lorena

Sounds like the store in Eagle River that we used to go to in the summer! My uncle had a cabin on the lake & I mainly remember that store and the dock. And the bats!

Sounds like time to get a small crusher & stock up on specialty grains. And a 55 gallon barrel of pale extract.

Latest posts

Back