Substitutions for 6-Row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conan4480

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking to brew an amber pumpkin ale and most of the recipes I find use 6-row in them. I now live in England and have not been able to find any 6-row on the UK brewing supplies websites, unless they call it something else over here. Would there be a good substitution for it that I could use instead?

Thanks

Conan

Hi Conan, I have the same problem. What I've always done is to replace with two row, but it doesn't allow for as much diastatic power so I keep an eye on the amount of adjuncts. I wish there was a brew shop in the UK selling 6row!

The recipe is likely using 6row to help deal with the pumpkin to avoid a stuck mash.

6row has a lot of husk material, so it'll help with the "glue" that happens when you mash pumpkin.

I'd use whatever 2row you want, and add in a pound or so of rice hulls to deal with the pumpkin.

Don't think it has anything to do with husks. Think its more of the fact that 6-row has more diastatic power to convert the pumpkin starches. Never heard that 6-row has more husks.

Back