substitution question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AleHole

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew a SNPA clone and the recipe calls for the use of some Yakima Magnum hops pellets and for the yeast White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast. The local store doesnt carry these...anyone know of good substitutions? Also is DME the same from manufacturer to manufacturer?

A yeast sub could be Wyeast 1056 (liquid yeast) or Safale-56 (dry yeast). All 3 are the same thing, pretty much.

As for magnum hops, BYO recommends Northern Brewer. You could also use Perle, but I find those kind of harsh.

Columbus or Warrior. Actually, just about any of the high AA (>12%) hops would work. Magnum doesn't add much flavor or aroma. If you use NB, adjust for the AA%.

[Had a chance to use fresh magnum last fall. The flowers are really odd. They're huge and many of them had tiny leaves growing out the sides.]

I have that book and forgot about that section....he suggests Horizon. I will try to get some magnum pellets through mail order because thats what Sierra Nevada uses in thier pale ale recipe. I figure I can wait a week to brew to try and match their ingredients and flavor as much as possible since I will be DME instead of 2 row.

I was just talking with Betty at Larry's about how it would be nice if they had links on the website to the Briess data sheets, and the Wyeast product info, etc, so that it would be easier to reformulate a recipe that calls for a brand that they don't carry.

I always sit down with about four browser windows open, as I am going over a recipe from a book or BYO, or on here, etc. One is to Larry's site, so I can double check their products, one is to Briess, so that I can get to the data sheets on their malts and extracts. One is to White Labs, so that I can find out about a specific yeast, and one is to Wyeast, so that I can come up with an appropriate replacement, if the recipe called for a White Labs yeast.

I think I remember someone saying that Mr. Malty has a pretty good yeast comparison, but I have not checked that out yet.

I would use perle and cascade
http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/paleale.html

You can also culture some yeast from the bottle.
Sierra Nevada
General
SN is said to use the same yeast for all their beers. They do not repitch with yeast from the high alcohol beers due to increased mutation level.
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Appears to be primary strain. Several have had good results. Clean fermenter. The same or very similar to Wyeast 1056/YeastLab A02 American Ale.
http://www.nada.kth.se/~alun/Beer/Bottle-Yeasts/

Back