substitution question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughBrooks

Reaction score
A friend and I are going to clone Ipswich oatmeal stout(partial mash). So my friend takes our grain bill to our LHBS and the guy at the shop substituted victory malt for my flaked oats(that we were going to toast). It would not be a big deal but all the grain was milled together so I cant just take that out and go get some flaked oat. The amount is very small,only 4 ounces, should I get the oat and use that also or is the victory an equal substitute? I thought they were competely different. Anyway, help please! :confused:

That seems a very odd choice of substitute by your LHBS. :confused: If you want oats just take some out of the box of Quaker Oatmeal in your pantry and add them to your recipe.

yea I was a bit confused by the substitute also. I definatally wan an OATMEAL stout so maybe I will go ahead and just add them in. My LBHS als forgot my bittering hops (galena). I will have to make sure that I am there when any other grain bills are filled by him I guess. any way

Though it does seem like a strange sub, he probably told them you were planning on toasting the oats. Victory will add the toasted flavor - but without the mouthfeel of oats. I'd still be inclined to add the oats (but maybe not toast them), if you have some quick cooking oats they can also be used. I believe that the Old fashioned (non-quick cooking) oats should be cooked before mashing to get the most out of them - the flaked oats you buy at the LHBS are pre-gelatinized.

Back