Substitution for rice hulls?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redwiggler

Reaction score
Forgot to order rice hulls for a ten gallon batch of Head Scratcher IPA Weizen (12lb white wheat, 7lb rahr pils, 1.5lb carmel 40.) Should I get some, try it without or uses something else. Thanks

Rice hulls are the hulls taken off the rice to make it fit for people to eat. They are usually a waste product but in all grain brewing they help the grains that don't have hulls form a nice filter bed for draining the wort out of the mash tun.

The only substitute I know is prayer:drunk: If I were brewing your recipe and was batch sparging I would go without. I think that you have enough other malt in the batch to keep things moving. Of course the safest thing to do is to wait until you get some hulls but what the heck!!!! live on the wild side and if it doesn't work you can cuss me:ban:

If you are going to go ahead I would suggest as close to a full volume mash as you can get. The looser the mash, from my experience, the less chance for stuck mashes. Just what I have noticed.

Back