Substituting yeast strain in recipe: is this a good idea or bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosster01

Reaction score
I'm currently brewing a stout which I'll be transferring to secondary this weekend.

Next weekend I'm going to do my first partial mash kit using NB buffalo sweat clone.

My current yeast cake is with wyeast 1056. I'd like to wash and reuse those yeast for the Buffalo sweat kit. But the Buffalo sweat kit calls for wyeast 1098 the British ale yeast.

My question is, will this substitution majorly affect flavor? Would you recommend it or no?

As far as I can tell, the American is simply going to be a little drier and not estery. If you want those British esters, get the new yeast. If not, go for it as is.

However, let it also be said that if your stout was high gravity, it may not be wise to reuse the yeast.

Yes, Yeast will absolutely affect the outcome of your beer. While the beer will probably still be really good, it will NOT be a true clone at that point.

I have been experimenting with yeast as of late by making 10g of a recipe and pitching 2 different kinds of yeast. My most recent one was an Irish Red that I brewed 10g of and pitched yeast from a belgian, from my previous batch, in one of the fermenters. It's quite tasty, but it's more of a belgian than an Irish Red.

As mentioned before, using the American yeast will lead to a cleaner yeast profile in the beer. It will attenuate a little further so it could be a bit more dry as well. Whereas the English yeast (depending on ferm temp) will give off more fruity, estery yeast flavors and may not attenuate as far so it may end up being a bit sweeter. Also as mentioned before, it won't be a true clone, but that doesn't mean it won't still be good.

I'd say your safe either way.

Thanks for the tips.

The yeast cake is from a low gravity stout ~ 1.055.

I think I might just try it.

Back