Substituting Maris Otter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
Hello,

In most cases can Maris Otter be substitued with American 2 row?

Thanks
Joe

You can make any substitution you want. You won't get the beer you're trying to recreate, though. I'm a huge MO fan, and to me it's well worth the extra few cents per pound. If using actual MO is not an option for you, you can approximate the taste by replacing it with a mix of 95% 2-row and 5% victory. I highly recommend splurging for the Maris Otter, though, especially if you're making a malt-forward style.

Is there a difference in taste or complexity between the two?

Between American 2-row and MO? Absolutely. MO has a subtle biscuity background, and it's a shade or so darker than 2-row. Part of it is the malting process- part of it is that MO is actually a different kind of barley than the American one (it's a winter barley- american types are spring barleys)

Hello,

In most cases can Maris Otter be substitued with American 2 row?

Thanks
Joe

Yes, but it would be like substituting Wonder bread for artisanal rye on a deli corned beef sandwich. ;)

If you need to make the substitution, you can add some dextrin malt to the 2-row, about 5% and a similar amount of biscuit/victory. Not the same, but closer than just 2-row.

Also, check out other UK pale malt varieties, though most may be the same price as MO depending on your source.
Halcyon, Golden Promise, Optic, Pipkin, there are many to choose from.

You can also try "pale ale" malt. GW, for example, makes "Premium 2-row" and "Pale". The Pale is slightly darker, maltier, more like the British malts (3L vs. 2L). Just tried it in an IPA...

Perfect.....I figure if the recipe calls for xxxxxxx grain i should probably try to use xxxxxxx grain.

Thank you all for the help. HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Back