Substituting malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,
I’m about to make a batch of blacklab’s APA orange cascade and it calls for 9lbs of MO. I’ve made this recipe several times and it’s delicious. I have Great Western pale malt that I need to use, but I want to make sure that it’s close.
I’ve read that MO has a slight biscuity flavor.

Is there a specialty grain I can add, such as biscuit? If so, how much?
Again, I just want to get as close to the original recipe as possible by using pale malt. This is a great recipe and I don’t want to alter it too much.

Thank you.

I'd say sub in a little aromatic and or victory to make up for the loss of maltiness. Maybe a 1/2 ib.

The GW pale malt is going to come pretty close in my limited experience with it, it's a little darker than their regular 2-row. I'm not sure I could tell the difference between that and MO in a very hoppy beer. I personally think the munich/aromatic grains are the wrong type of malty and would instead add a little biscuit/victory if you feel the need to add something. I'd probably just sub in the GW alone though if it were me.

Hello,
I’m about to make a batch of blacklab’s APA orange cascade and it calls for 9lbs of MO. I’ve made this recipe several times and it’s delicious. I have Great Western pale malt that I need to use, but I want to make sure that it’s close.
I’ve read that MO has a slight biscuity flavor.

Is there a specialty grain I can add, such as biscuit? If so, how much?
Again, I just want to get as close to the original recipe as possible by using pale malt. This is a great recipe and I don’t want to alter it too much.

Thank you.

Pale malt is a suitable substitute for MO

FYI. - https://www.brew.is/files/malt.html

It's not exactly what your asking for per say. This list is a great reference.

You can roast or toast malt to make up the difference too. Maybe 4-8 oz of gold malt. I have instructions for home toasting/roasting in my signature. I don't think it's necessary though. See this link for roasting times and temperatures.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet.../edit?usp=drivesdk&ouid=102172746265862442146

IMHO - Biscuit, it's never a bad addition in small amounts. Add maybe 2 oz.

Last edited:
The GW pale malt is going to come pretty close in my limited experience with it, it's a little darker than their regular 2-row. I'm not sure I could tell the difference between that and MO in a very hoppy beer. I personally think the munich/aromatic grains are the wrong type of malty and would instead add a little biscuit/victory if you feel the need to add something. I'd probably just sub in the GW alone though if it were me.

All I normally use is pale malt. Just recently got some MO because I'm on an English beer kick with inverts and nitro.

The two seem very similar. To the point I can't really tell the difference.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone!
It’s good to know that it would be a close match if I did nothing. But.....I may try adding a few oz’s of biscuit anyhow.
Ps-if you haven’t tried this recipe, you should. The last time I brewed this it was in my fermentor when I noticed at the grocery store that Sierra Nevadahas a beer called sidecar. It’s almost identical to this beer. Maybe they owe some royalties to blacklab.

Back