Substituting Hops/Extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveStLoo

Reaction score
I found an extract recipe i really want to make.. I do not want to buy a kit, but the LHBS does not carry the exact hops or extracts that the recipe calls for, but they do have a decent selection. What are some of the things you look for when trying to substitute hops and extracts? Do you really just want to come close with that AA% for the hops? Thank you.

Well mainly with hops you want to come close to the bitterness, but then also you probably want to get a similar styled hop as well. For example, there are a few charts you can find online that show which hops are appropriate substitutions.

If you post what you need substitutions for, many people here will be able to give you some ideas, as well as the information source so you can look them up in the future!

The AA% is part of it. The other big thing is to consider hops that have a similar flavor/aroma profile to the ones you can't find. The best resource I've found for hop substitution is here.

This has been a reoccuring thing, some of the recipes that I want to make, the LHBS doesnt have. Some are more obvious than others, but a chart would be splendid also. I will just list the ingredients for the kit I wish to use next, and go from there as time progresses.

The kit is Northern Brewer's "Witbier Extract Kit" #1221

Requires 6.3lbs Wheat malt syrup and 2oz French Strisselspalt Hops

LHBS carries the following malt extracts:
http://www.robshomebrew.com/Extracts.html

and the following hops..
http://www.robshomebrew.com/Hops.html

Thanks!

Did not see above post before posting. THANKS. That chart will help much!

Yeah I just want to reiterate that AA% is only a part of hop differentiation. While AA is a great way to measure bittering, hop aroma and flavor (aka when youre dryhopping/late boil additions) is unconnected to simply the AA%. There are numerous other compounds (Beta Acids, Humulone, etc) that make up the wonder that is lupulin!

Good luck finding your sub, the best thing to do is to handle and smell them! This also prevents you from getting cheesy hops as well.

Heck yeah, I picked Crystal because the description, other than listing it as a "possible substitution," said "Mild and pleasant, spicy and flowery.." a lot of which I would get with the corriander seed.. although it would probably be just as easy to get the kit.. the shipping would probably push the price over the edge anyway.

For the malt extract, I would use the Northwestern Weizen as a substitute. Weizen is German (I believe) for Wheat, so you should be ok with that substitution.

This is actually good practice for homebrewing: making substitutions. Even if you don't get it perfect, you'll learn a lot about beer. Maybe check out other online recipes for the same style.

As fas as AA% is concerned, you can always just adjust your quantity to fix that.

Latest posts

Back