Substituting DME for LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffny25

Reaction score
I was looking at a recipe that called for 5 pounds of DME. can I use 3 pounds of DME and two pounds of LME to lower costs, or will that affect taste?

Thanks

DME is more potent (more gravity points per pound per gallon) and more flavor-stable than LME. IIRC, you need about 1.15 lbs of LME to equal 1 lb of DME to reach the same original gravity.

My charts have

1.01lb of DME - 1.13lb OF LME

GRAIN = LME = DME
1.00 = 0.75 = 0.67

I have no problem using LME if it's fresh.

Another reason I think DME is superior is that if you add it slowly enough it will go into solution immediately, so you dont have to worry about it sticking to the bottom and scorching like LME.

I was looking at a recipe that called for 5 pounds of DME. can I use 3 pounds of DME and two pounds of LME to lower costs, or will that affect taste?

Thanks

depending on amber, light, etc, maybe not taste so much, but your OG will be off.

you'll need 2.23 lb of LME to equal 2 lb of DME.

are you guys sure about your conversions? according to Briess and Munton's, LME is about 80% solids, so shouldn't 1lb of LME be more like 0.8lbs of DME.

Back