Substitutes for hazelnut extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arover

Reaction score
Can anyone think of any substitutes for hazelnut extract? I'm on a short time frame to get this chocolate hazelnut porter from keg to bottle and these "Flavorganics" hazelnut extract bottles aren't cutting it, I've already doubled to 4 oz and after letting it sit I'm still hardly getting any flavor at all. The local safeway doesn't carry any regular hazelnut extracts either. I'm wondering if I can just use some McCormick Almond extract instead? The stores seem to carry that. Any other ideas?

lol yeah, I was actually reading about making the extract yourself with hazelnuts, but I don't have the time. For the record, in case anyone happens to search through the archives for the same type of answer, I initially opted to go for trying sugar free (ie sucralose) torani hazelnut syrup as opposed to using almond extract. I added a little bit then decided I didn't like it as I hate the taste of splenda (and it's noticeable). It smelled far too artificial for me as well. Also, 2 x 2 oz bottles of "Flavorganics Hazelnut Extract" also did nothing.

I finally ordered the good stuff off morebeer (even though shipping was more than the product) and will hopefully have it in the next 2 or 3 days (I have to bottle by thursday).

*sigh* Should've just dont this to begin with. Ended up wasting money, but I'll be damned if I achieve anything less than the exact taste I'm looking for!

Frangelico

I use that stuff when I'm cooking all the time. And I drink it...it's soooo tasty.

The liqueur or the essence? All I can find is the liqueur. If it's the essence, where did you find it?

The liquer. No idea where one could find the essence. If you want a stronger hazelnut flavor and don't want to dump a whole fifth of the liquer in there, you could reduce it a bit before adding it.

You've never run into any trouble with the liqueur?? Isn't that stuff full of fermentable sugars among other stuff? Have you ever tasted any stronger alcohol flavor because of it?

If you cook it a bit to reduce it, most of the alcohol will boil off. It may have some fermentable sugars, but in a 5 gallon batch I don't think it's going to make a huge difference. I did something like this with rum before, but not Frangelico.

Damn, good idea. Oh well, too late now. I've actually found some posts with people that have used Frangelico now that I look for it. They claim a subtle taste, but a good taste nontheless.

I used Frangelico in a gallon of oatmeal stout with good results. The small amount of alcohol/sugar wasn't an issue (although I wouldn't add it at bottling without taking that sugar into account). I don’t remember exactly how much I used (I have notes at home) but it wasn’t more than a couple tbls in a gallon.

Back