Substitute hulled barley for flaked barley?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDom

Reaction score
My LHBS doesn't carry flaked barley, but the health food store around the corner from me has hulled barley. Can I just run that through my mill and use it in place of flaked barley? I'm kinda assuming it'd be the same thing, but hopefully if it's a problem waiting to happen, someone here's tried it and will be able to give me a heads-up.

Thanks,
Dom

You would likely have to cook it or do a cereal mash to gelantize whole barley. Flaked barley has already been subjected to enough heat and moisture during processing to gelantinize it.

most of those health food stores also carry flaked barley, just ask. If it is flaked I am pretty sure that it is "pre-gelatinized" (according to "the bible")
-ander

anderj said:
most of those health food stores also carry flaked barley, just ask. If it is flaked I am pretty sure that it is "pre-gelatinized" (according to "the bible")
-ander

Yes it is and a lot of bulk foods stores sell it as well for a lot cheaper than health food stores and there organicly grown farmers.

Excellent, I'll keep looking around for the easier-to-use flaked variety. If not, oatmeal stouts are good too. ;)

TheDom said:
Excellent, I'll keep looking around for the easier-to-use flaked variety. If not, oatmeal stouts are good too. ;)

Forgot to mention that "flaked" and "rolled" are the same thing so look around for both. Keep in mind those are moth unmalted so you need to mash with something that can convert, or ad some amylase enzyme to the mash.

Also Canadian Malting (bulk) that a lot of U-Brews use up here has amylase in the extract.

Roger that, flaked or rolled = my friends! The way they're kept in the store, you know, those funny clear dispenser things, I'd be able to see at a glance if it was the same thing or not. I'm trying to pull together my ingredients for a generic irish stout to go with my white labs irish yeast, and was trying to see if I could get away with using the hulled barley instead of the flaked for head retention/mouthfeel, etc. So, if I wanted to use the hulled, I'd just have to boil it up like I'd prepare oatmeal from the non-quick oats, then add it to my mash?

You know, there's plenty of amylase in saliva... :fro:

Back