Substitute for Wheat DME for starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hukdizzle

Reaction score
Well I ordered the ingredients to make a hefe but forgot to order the Wheat DME to build up a starter. I am pretty positive my LHBS isn't going to have wheat DME so the question I need to ask is how much is it going to affect my beer if I was to use a Light DME instead of the Wheat. I am pretty positive I can get the Light DME and considering it's the same color the only affects I can see would be a slight difference in taste.

My grain bill is like 55/45 Wheat/Pilsner so I don't think it's going to make a huge difference if I made the starter (small volume to begin with) with Light DME instead of Wheat DME but I wanted some opinions.

If its only for a starter there will not be much difference if any at all. your yeast will still produce the same flavor profile. I use yeast from stouts to start Pales, then to an amber. I personally don't think you will have a problem. I never have. just let if drop out and poor off excess beer.

Cheers!!

Back