Substitute for Fuggles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oswegan

Reaction score
I used 4oz of Fuggles in a 5gal batch of Porter a while back that turned out well.

What else could I use in place of Fuggles that would be good in Porter?

Right now I have Centennial, Amarillo, Columbus, Magnum, Symcoe and Hallertau (GR).

I wouldn't sub anything you currently have for Fuggles. Maybe Hallertau it you HAVE to use something you have on hand but it won't be quite right.

I use Willamette as my Fuggles replacement... I've never used Fuggles and just swap Willamette when Fuggles is caused for. *shrug*

Yeah, Willamette...if you're using what you have on hand, I would use Magnum for bittering and Hallertau for flavor, but it won't come near as close to Fuggle as Willamette would.

Right now I have Centennial, Amarillo, Columbus, Magnum, Symcoe and Hallertau (GR).

I probably need to round out this selection. I have a pound of each of the above. Maybe I should get some Willamette and Goldings and . . . something else.

Thanks for the suggestion for Willamette. I never use it much and I live in Oregon.

I grabbed a pound of Willamette - might as well since its from around here and $6.95 a pound.

And it's pronounced "Willamette" dammit.

Back