Substitute for flaked wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runyanka

Reaction score
Just a couple questions about a brew I'm getting ready to do, its BierMunchers "your-wit-ness" wit beer recipe.

1) His recipe is calling for "flaked wheat", my local homebrew store carries; light wheat, dark wheat, caramel wheat malt, and un-malted wheat. So are any of those what I am looking for?

2) It also calls for "white wheat malt", is that light wheat?

Thanks guys, this will be my 3rd all-grain, first wit beer.

you want to use flaked wheat instead of malted wheat to stay within the guidelines of a witbeer. the malted grain will change the flavor and youll be out of the style. white and red wheat are just about the same, difference being color. white wheat provides light srm and red wheat obviously provides darker srm. the witbier is a very light srm beer. usually no more than 7srm, so you gotta stick with flaked wheat as a base, and use white wheat malt instead of red.

Unmalted wheat is your best bet as a replacement for the flaked wheat. Flaked wheat is essentially unmalted wheat that has been cooked and flattened (flaked). Unfortunately, with straight up unmalted wheat, you need to do a cereal mash, which involves finely crushing the wheat, then cooking it in water until all of the starches have gelatinized. You may want to look into torrified wheat...it is essentially puffed-up unmalted wheat, ready to be milled and mashed.

either route, flaked wheat, or unmalted wheat (which is hard to find) you need these to stay a witbier. if you use malted wheat, you lose the flavor profile.

I say that a 50/50 mix of flaked oats (=quaker) and flaked barley is an acceptable substitute for flaked wheat. If you can't find that, then go with a 75/25 mix of flaked oats and corn starch.

Back