substitute for Ella hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewddah

Reaction score
What could I use in place of Ella hops? I'm trying to clone Foundation Epiphany IPA, which uses them. My LHBS doesn't carry them, and I don't really want to buy an entire pound online. Ella is supposed to be kind of floral, but it's 13-16% AA.

I have quite a bit of experience with Ella - it's grown not far from where I live (along with galaxy amongst others) and I was given a couple of kilograms of it last year. I REALLY don't like it's bitterness, which is supported by other homebrewers I've talked to. Maybe we just haven't used it in the right way, but it's always quite harsh. I've tried a single hop commercial beer that uses Ella, and it had the same harshness. The flavour and aroma is unique - it ranges from floral to melon/stonefruity. I'd say the closest I've used is Styrian Goldings, but the AA% on Styrian will be much lower. I'd go for Galaxy or Enigma before Ella (althouth a small amount of Ella in a lager is quite pleasant).

I have quite a bit of experience with Ella - it's grown not far from where I live (along with galaxy amongst others) and I was given a couple of kilograms of it last year. I REALLY don't like it's bitterness, which is supported by other homebrewers I've talked to. Maybe we just haven't used it in the right way, but it's always quite harsh. I've tried a single hop commercial beer that uses Ella, and it had the same harshness. The flavour and aroma is unique - it ranges from floral to melon/stonefruity. I'd say the closest I've used is Styrian Goldings, but the AA% on Styrian will be much lower. I'd go for Galaxy or Enigma before Ella (althouth a small amount of Ella in a lager is quite pleasant).

Hmmm, Foundation must be throwing it at flame out or something. Epiphany is far from being harsh in bitterness. But maybe Galaxy is the best option since I can't get Ella here. I have never heard of Enigma.

Do you have more insights on Enigma? Is it red berries or is it tropical like Galaxy (What about Vic Secret compared to Enigma and Galaxy?)?

Enigma isn't as aggressive as galaxy. It has a nice, subtle melon fruitiness. Like galaxy, it can be quite grassy when dry-hopped (it seems to be a bit hit and miss). I really like enigma in a simple 2-row+wheat single hop 30IBU ale. Very easy drinking. However, along with Ella (and galaxy), I find it harsh as a bittering hop.

Vic Secret - I've only used once. My notes from it say the beer was tropical fruity, like galaxy crossed with citra but more subdued.

Hmmm, Foundation must be throwing it at flame out or something. Epiphany is far from being harsh in bitterness. But maybe Galaxy is the best option since I can't get Ella here. I have never heard of Enigma.

Ella is one of five hops used in Epiphany. If you can't get it, just leave it out - Columbus, Cascade, Citra and Mosaic should get the job done!

Enigma isn't as aggressive as galaxy. It has a nice, subtle melon fruitiness. Like galaxy, it can be quite grassy when dry-hopped (it seems to be a bit hit and miss). I really like enigma in a simple 2-row+wheat single hop 30IBU ale. Very easy drinking. However, along with Ella (and galaxy), I find it harsh as a bittering hop.

Vic Secret - I've only used once. My notes from it say the beer was tropical fruity, like galaxy crossed with citra but more subdued.

Sounds great, thank you for your insights!

Back