Submersible pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jweidman

Reaction score
Hey guys so I need some help, I'm Gonna be brewing again and I don't have a way to cool my wort as of yet, I don't have any hose outs lets around my place since I'm in an apartment, so what I was thinking was buying a thermonator and gravity feeding my wort thru it and for the way I was gonna fill a 5gallon buck with water and use frozen 2 liter bottles for ice, and have a pump that I can submerge and just fill that bucket full of water.

I have a few questions about that though,

1. Where can I find a pump that is less the 23.6gpm? I don't think i would be able to keep up unless I recycled the water back into the bucket but I don't know how effective that would be.

2. Would the water pump be able to push the water through the theromonator?

If anyone has experience with what I'm talking about please chime in I would love to start brewing soon.

I've had good luck with circulating buckets of tap water to pull the initial heat out (and create hot water to clean up afterwards). Then I refill with ice water. Keep the recirculating water to a minimum to preserve the cooling capacity of the ice. You're trying to cool the wort not the water. I would have a bag of ice on hand just in case the two liters are all spent before you are done chilling at least until you get the hand of how much ice is needed.

Edit:
I use harbor freight pumps as well, but I use the 620 gph only because I had it from another project.

Back