Quantcast

Submersible Pump for Chiller

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Matt Up North

Reaction score
I am tired of using so much water and would rather just fill up a cooler with ice water and pump it through my chiller and back in order to conserve water.

What size pumps have been used? GPM? h/p?
Where did you puchase them (Lowes, HD, Harbor Freight)?
Is it efficient?

I am looking at the 1/3 hp submersible with float from Harbor Freight for $40.

jpc

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I am tired of using so much water and would rather just fill up a cooler with ice water and pump it through my chiller and back in order to conserve water.

What size pumps have been used? GPM? h/p?
Where did you puchase them (Lowes, HD, Harbor Freight)?
Is it efficient?
I use a small submersible sump pump that I picked up at Home Dump years ago to bail my basement. It was sitting in the garage unused for three years, so the cost of adoption was right.

I think it's 1/6 HP, and is does OK (not great) with my 25' copper chiller... if I were buying a pump, though, I'd get one a little bigger.

-John

Hugh_Jass

Reaction score
Here's the one I used for my 3/8" IC. it worked fine for 5 gallon batches.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
The max head on that small one is only 59" but it should flow pretty quick once the chiller and output hose is full of water. Ebay is a good source too:

Utility pumps, 500+ GPH pond pumps, etc. I think 1/2HP is a lot of power to push water through 3/8" tubing.

davebl

Reaction score
I picked up one from Lowe's. It wasn't the smallest sub pump, but the one right above it.. $60.00 ish I think. Works great for summer Arkansas brews when our tap water is 80 degrees.

Just put about 4 bags of ice in an ice chest, top of with water, and go. 10 minutes later and I'm at 65F

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I think 1/2HP is a lot of power to push water through 3/8" tubing.
I would say so too. I have a 1/2 HP dirty water pump I hook up to a 2" hose, but goes down to 1.5" when I connect the next hose to it. This empties my pool. 25000 gallons in about 7 hours. I would say that is a little over kill going through a 3/8" hose.

jldc

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
+1 for this one...

Cheap and it works like a charm with either a IC or CFC for 5 gallon batches....

:mug:

I use this one. The other less expensive ones may well work fine. This one pumps a lot of water - no problems. I've only used it 3 times. About 12 minutes for 5 1/2 gallons of wort to go from boiling to pitching temps with a 25' stainless IC.