Submerge probe on Love controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangulum33

Whenever it feels right!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can the probe be submerged on a Love controller without damaging it?
Mine is out in the air, and I dont like how the freezer cycles so much.

IIRC, the Love controller probes should not be submerged. Most use them with a thermowell of some kind, but I suppose you could waterproof them somehow. IMO, submerging the probe in a container of water is not the best way to go as it would only increase the response time and cause wider temperature swings. I've experimented with various configurations and what seems to work best is to have the controller probe placed near the bottom of the freezer and away from the walls. My freezer cycles about 35 minutes on and 2 hours off with room temperature at about 72F. I have the probe positioned at the bottom near the center and I use a muffin fan to continuously circulate the air. This is with an uninsulated 2 x 6 wood collar. I'm planning to insulate the collar very soon which should improve the efficiency considerably. What kind of cycle times are you currently getting?

In my keezer, I placed a can of soda with a koozie on the hump and inserted the probe between the koozie and the can. This approach made sense to me anyway...and it seems to work.

Or you could also try taping the probe directly to the container (fermenter, keg, whatever) of the temperature you are trying to control. I tape a couple of layers of bubblewrap to the side of the contaimer and stick the probe in between the wrap and the side of the container.

I do like Zymurgy's can koozie idea though! Might have to try that!

Or you could also try taping the probe directly to the container (fermenter, keg, whatever) of the temperature you are trying to control. I tape a couple of layers of bubblewrap to the side of the contaimer and stick the probe in between the wrap and the side of the container.

That's what I did intially by using a couple of #64 rubber bands to keep the probe next to the keg. I used a folded paper towel for insulation though. The reason I went with the koozie idea was because I didn't want to deal with moving the probe each time the keg went dry...which for me is more often than I like to admit. :cross: :D

My keezer is 7cf and I have not really done any timings on the on\off cycles. It really doesn't make sense to do so now because the temps are quite cool in the garage. I'll check it in the summer when temps are in the mid to upper 90's.

Back