Sub wlp 028 with Nottingham?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had planned to brew a 80 shilling ale today, and earlier in the week made a starter on wlp028 edinburgh ale. Yesterday I put it away overnight to cold crash in my FC fridge that probably was set a bit too low, because when I checked it it had turned into a yeast/ wort slushie.
After spending a couple of minutes cursing the day my soul was ripped out of the endless void only to be thrown into a slowly rotting prison of flesh to suffer and die, I remembered I have some nottingham in the fridge.
The grist was 15%caramel/crystal and a little pale chocolate, and the plan was to mash at 66c and get about 70% attenuation.
Could I use notty, mash at 68c and ferment at 15-16c and get a similair result?

I got mad and dumped... my mash temp when I put on the lid was a little over 68, so 68-69 mash temp and a fair amount of crystal in the grist should hopefully keep the attenuation from rising too much over 70%. Note to self: don't dial effect of fridge to max when cold crashing starters...

The yeast slush I threw away, it occured to me later I could have saved it but I was a little angry in the moment.
Yep, that was stupid. It was probably all right, even for the current beer. I try to limit any action/reaction when I am angry, as I have seen often in the past, that nearly every action based on anger yielded a bad result, directly oposit to what I actually wanted to achieve. So I found out that doing nothing beats doing something based on anger 99.9% of the time. It is actually a fun game to play, spot the anger and then autopilot that shuts the whole system down, till the anger is gone :D

A friend of mine said, when he is angry, he uses it for work that he does not like. Now he does not get angry so often anymore as he does not like cleaning the toilet or chopping wood and this is what he does when he is angry. :D

Yep, that was stupid. It was probably all right, even for the current beer. I try to limit any action/reaction when I am angry, as I have seen often in the past, that nearly every action based on anger yielded a bad result, directly oposit to what I actually wanted to achieve. So I found out that doing nothing beats doing something based on anger 99.9% of the time. It is actually a fun game to play, spot the anger and then autopilot that shuts the whole system down, till the anger is gone :D

A friend of mine said, when he is angry, he uses it for work that he does not like. Now he does not get angry so often anymore as he does not like cleaning the toilet or chopping wood and this is what he does when he is angry. :D

Good advice, except I have a strict rule about power tools and sharp objects: never engage when fatigued or not fully focused. When I'm really pissed (happens more frequently than I'd like to admit) the LAST thing I'd reach for is either a chain saw or an axe.

Well, THAT, or a toilet brush.

Good advice, except I have a strict rule about power tools and sharp objects: never engage when fatigued or not fully focused. When I'm really pissed (happens more frequently than I'd like to admit) the LAST thing I'd reach for is either a chain saw or an axe.

Well, THAT, or a toilet brush.

:D
Actually a very good point!

So I brewed the beer and it was not the best brewday ever. Apart from the yeast accident, I noticed my sparge bucket-in-bucket setup was a little slow when I collected the first runnings, then when I dunked in the sparge water it was a complete stop, had to transfer all of the grains+water to my boil kettle and spend well over an hour un-effing the holes in the false bottom bucket...
Pitched the notty around 5.30 in the evening and put it away in the FC, by 11 the yeast was starting to wander back to the surface and some bubbles were forming on top. Yesterday there were lots of big bubbles and lots of airlock activity, today a thin layer of really small bubbles on top and lots of airlock activity aswell. No krauzen though, but the beer has been really cloudy from yest moving around in suspension and it is bubbling so I amnot worried, there are definitely things going on in there. Hopefully it won't attenuate too much and altough I wont get the full scottish character, get it somewhat near what I was aiming for.
And if I understand correctly, a yeast starter that has been overnight crashed in a bit too cold fridge and started freezing, is still usable?

So I brewed the beer and it was not the best brewday ever. Apart from the yeast accident, I noticed my sparge bucket-in-bucket setup was a little slow when I collected the first runnings, then when I dunked in the sparge water it was a complete stop, had to transfer all of the grains+water to my boil kettle and spend well over an hour un-effing the holes in the false bottom bucket...
Pitched the notty around 5.30 in the evening and put it away in the FC, by 11 the yeast was starting to wander back to the surface and some bubbles were forming on top. Yesterday there were lots of big bubbles and lots of airlock activity, today a thin layer of really small bubbles on top and lots of airlock activity aswell. No krauzen though, but the beer has been really cloudy from yest moving around in suspension and it is bubbling so I amnot worried, there are definitely things going on in there. Hopefully it won't attenuate too much and altough I wont get the full scottish character, get it somewhat near what I was aiming for.
And if I understand correctly, a yeast starter that has been overnight crashed in a bit too cold fridge and started freezing, is still usable?
Theoretically yes, but practically, I would add some wort and see if it takes of or not, before pitching it.

Line your sparge bucket-in-bucket with a cheap 5 gallon paint strainer bag and you never have a problem again. If your mash or sparge slow way down or stop, just lift the bag to expose more filter area. When done you have a bag of grain that is easy to dispose of too.

Line your sparge bucket-in-bucket with a cheap 5 gallon paint strainer bag and you never have a problem again. If your mash or sparge slow way down or stop, just lift the bag to expose more filter area. When done you have a bag of grain that is easy to dispose of too.
That actually sounds like a good idea, I'll try it if the problem remains. It looked like the plastic "beards" around the holes from drilling the plastic had softened up and folded themselves back over the holes, so I stuck a wood plant stick thorough them and scraped of the plastic bearding.

Back