Styrofoam Insulation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatMonsters

Reaction score
Can a styrofoam container of sorts be used to maintain temp for mashing? I have to keep adjusting the flame (on, low, off, etc.) to maintain the temp with a thermometer probe. Right now I do partial mashing with some grains and was wondering if I could get the brewpot to the the temp I want and then put the brewpot into a styrofoam packing or contaner to maintain temp? Somedeay I will switch over to the "cooler" style for all-grain. Any ideas?

Styrofoam might melt against a hot pot, especially if you turned on the flame. You can get water heater jackets at HD or Lowes and cut it to fit but you still cannot turn on the flame while it is wrapped.

I use a water heater jacket on mine and it works great but my MT is probably bigger then what you are using..

Mash3.jpg

yes, if you are removing it from the stove once it is hot enough, no problem.

I have constructed jackets out of sheets of thin foam using several layers, and also camping sleep pads, and "space blankets"

Works well too. Just test it using hot water to make sure you have a good layer of insulation and hold it for normal mash time.

lol, put it in a vacuum, they you'll probably have no heat loss.

I foresee this the next big thing, all the homebrewer make their own vacuum chambers to prevent heat loss. And then can use anything for a MT. :drunk:

z987k said:
lol, put it in a vacuum, they you'll probably have no heat loss.

Ohhh, and reduced oxidation during the mash...

At least three of our HBT brethren (or sistren -- sorry Yoop) immediately started sketching designs when they read that.

knights of Gambrinus said:
yes, if you are removing it from the stove once it is hot enough, no problem.

I have constructed jackets out of sheets of thin foam using several layers, and also camping sleep pads, and "space blankets"

Works well too. Just test it using hot water to make sure you have a good layer of insulation and hold it for normal mash time.

Hey thanks! Yeah I would take it off the stove once its hot enough!! I didn't of this sooner, but I guess I could clean out my smaller cooler and heat up the water to temp. Place the grains in a muslin bag and put it in the small cooler with the hot water, hot enough to take into account the colder cooler and grains so as to reach the mach temp. That would be kinda prepping me for the AG route!! Sound good? But the styrofoam idea would work too!

Well, if you have a cooler that is even easier as it is ready to go. Plus it is easier to drain. If you are using the grain bag you just use the regular cooler spigot to drain it.

like this.

knights of Gambrinus said:
Well, if you have a cooler that is even easier as it is ready to go. Plus it is easier to drain. If you are using the grain bag you just use the regular cooler spigot to drain it.

like this.

Thanks! Great Link I printout it for my notes!!! Only problem is my cooler is without a spigot at the bottom. It a solid cooler, Coleman Coolers 24 or 32 qt square cooler without a spigot. But its fairly clean. I clean it before I use it and have to take care to drain from the cooler to the brewpot.

Thanks again for link!

no problem.

If you can spend a few bucks you can drill a hole in your cooler and fit a spigot like this in the hole.

Here is some more info on making mashtuns

have fun.

Back