style help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbe0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Have what I call a Golden Rye but not sure what style category it should be in.
9 LB Maris otter
1 LB Rye malt
4 oz. torrified wheat
.50 oz Magnum (60)
1.5 oz Cascade (10)
1 oz East Kent Goldings (0)
Dry English ale yeast (wlp007)
any suggestions would help.

Have what I call a Golden Rye but not sure what style category it should be in.
9 LB Maris otter
1 LB Rye malt
4 oz. torrified wheat
.50 oz Magnum (60)
1.5 oz Cascade (10)
1 oz East Kent Goldings (0)
Dry English ale yeast (wlp007)
any suggestions would help.

It doesn't fit any named category- English malt and yeast, but American hops in there as well that should definitely contribute citrusy flavor. You can call it whatever you would like to, and unless you enter it in a competition, no one will ever know it doesn't fit a specific style.

posable styles?
11A Bitter, 18A Blond, 25A Belgian Blond? or 34C Experimental Beer. I did find that the BJCP in the 1D wheat style it says " American rye beers should be entered in the Alternative Fermentables specialty category." Sounds like 31A?
Maybe that is what it should be entered in. Or just drink it and enjoy till it is gone. I like this recipe it is a great beer.

Last edited:
posable styles?
11A Bitter, 18A Blond, 25A Belgian Blond? or 34C Experimental Beer. I did find that the BJCP in the 1D wheat style it says " American rye beers should be entered in the Alternative Fermentables specialty category." Sounds like 31A?
Maybe that is what it should be entered in. Or just drink it and enjoy till it is gone. I like this recipe it is a great beer.

+1 to the answers above.

Regarding 31A, I think it depends on whether you can taste the rye - if it has a rye character to it. Generally, when a beer doesn't fit the guidelines exactly, one approach is to smell/taste the beer and see where in the guidelines it best fits. The judges won't have your recipe or know your ingredients (unless you enter a specialty category) so you can enter it where you think it best fits based on the aroma and taste.

Latest posts

Back