Stupid relief valves!!! rant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
Arrgh. Bought 7 ball lock kegs a while back. Tested 5 of them. Guess which ones are leaking?

Yup, the last 2 empty ones. :mad:

Well, one is full now with scotch ale, but the relief valve leaks. I tried swapping the valves on the 2 as the lids were not interchangeable. The valve are different too. One is the split ring type and the other is the little plastic lever type. I tried tightening them and I fiddled around twisting the lever on the plastic one. It seems to be holding at the moment but I am not convinced it is going to stay that way.

Stupid parts cost about 1/2 as much as a used keg! grrrrrr. grumble grumble...

:mad:

I have 8 kegs myself, 2 of them don't hold pressure properly, so I use them for secondary fermentation... just a thought.

I had one that I fixed by putting a small o-ring into the valve and now I just don't use the valve, 'cause if I opened it, I'm sure the o-ring would move and it wouldn't seal anymore. I thought about using some automotive latex to seal it up permanently if that didn't work.

I've got one that's leaking out of the relief valve, as well. Haven't had a chance yet to take it apart and see if it can be fixed. Pisser, because the other six kegs are filled with beer, I wanted to have this one hold Star-San.

Looks like I'll have to blow a keg!

Funkenjaeger said:
Are you using keg lube? It's not a miracle fix, but it can certainly help.

Yes I use keg lube. However I have never used it on the relief valve. Do you mean dab a bit on the rubber bit at the bottom? I'll try it.

zero said:
Yes I use keg lube. However I have never used it on the relief valve. Do you mean dab a bit on the rubber bit at the bottom? I'll try it.
I did that to fix one of mine after I found out how much those stupid valves cost. I had another one that even that didn't fix, it was $17CAD for a new valve or I could get a used lid for $20CAD. Since there was a small dent in mine (nowhere near the valve) I bought the lid.

So is there any kind of fix? I was thinking of using some type of caucing (spelling) around the whole of the release valve, except the top where the pull ring is located.

Any thoughts?

BTW, my leak is very small and hard to notice.

OblivionsGate said:
So is there any kind of fix? I was thinking of using some type of caucing (spelling) around the whole of the release valve, except the top where the pull ring is located.

Any thoughts?

BTW, my leak is very small and hard to notice.
I would just try some keg lube first, then do a soapy water test to see if it worked.

or you can use plumbers silicone grease. It is FDA food safe compliant. Should be able to get it at any big home center or hardware store. It is what I use. Small plastic tub lasts a long time.

Back