Stupid question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sublevel007

Reaction score
Okay so a stupid question and I'm sure I know the answer but looking for confirmation. I made my first of all grain batch. I am just short of 2 weeks and bottling stage beer looks awesome nice color and smell and taste but little to no carbonation. I'm thinking I did not convert all the starches during mash . Since this was my first run at all green the mash. Actually ran over an extra 30 minutes. Do you think my beer is screwed or just wait another week or two . I did get a good fermentation and tests about 7.2 ABV . It will be a shame if this does not carb up. This is the first time I tried using the carbonation drops in lieu of priming sugar could that be the cause? .

Time. Time. If you went over on your mash that will have no effect on carb. All you need is live yeast and sugar in the bottles. With all grain, once you put it in the carboy, all the way through drinking, it is exactly the same as extract

If you did the same process, then wait. Time cures most, if not all things in brewing

Including hangovers

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

21 day at 71 degrees. That's what they tell me. Never used drops myself. I am reading between the lines but you did everything else per usual and all prior batches carbed and nothing changed but drops? I mean, you've done 7%+ ABC before with no issues?

Yeah everything actually went perfect for being my first all grain batch besides the extended mash time. It's an I pa I made myself on beersmith so I wonder if that had anything to do with it but I followed all the instructions. I will say this was the first time using liquid yeast compared to dry packs and had a crazy fermentation where I had to actually hook a blow off on my 6.5 gal primary vessel. I guess I was hoping it would be ready for easter but I'll let it set for a few more weeks before testing again. Just know I A'S are meant to be enjoyed your as to not to lose any of the dry hope aromas.

The first time my friend used the carbonation drops they did not work. The second time they did. For me, this is to inconsistent. I'd rather use the priming sugar. I like to use the priming sugar calculator from northern brewer. All you do is plug in the style and the calculator will tell you how much priming sugar to use as per the particular style. I hope this helps a little. Cheers

Jesus. I did not even see the part about the drops. I can only say that I did it with root beer. 3 weeks later it was flat. 3 weeks after that I can only crack the cap and let the soda spew out, with force, into the cup. It's really messy. I do it in the sink. All I can say is god help you if you used 5 in each bottle

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Carbonation drops are iffy . I used them and they did not work out so well most of the time so I stopped . Better to use plain old sugar , whatever kind you like . I use table sugar. I get carbonation in as little as a week for my darker beers as they require a lot less carbonation to be good . I am drinking a SMaSH right now in bottle for a week but in fermenter for 1 1/2 months to get it real clean and conditioned. Give it some time and if it does not carb up then drink up . IPA will be good with very little carbonation .

Back