Stupid Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingmatt

Hop Addict
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am using a broken chest freezer as a fermentation cabinet in my basement now that the weather is getting cold here in PA. It is in the 50s in my basement so I put a small space heater in the freezer and have it hooked up to my temp controller.

The problem is the space heater never comes on. I have the temp control set to 66 but I realized that when I have the controller hooked up to my fridge in the summer, it turns the compressor to the fridge ON when the ambient temp reaches 66 to cool everything down, which is the opposite of what I want with my heater. I want the heater to run until the temp reaches 66 and then have the temp control shut the heater OFF.

Any idea how I would go about this?

:mug:

Some single stage temp controllers allow you to do just what you need, but you have to remove the cover and mess with some of the internals. I'd get a copy of your temp controllers instructions and see if it tells you how to do this.

If it's a Johnson controller, there is a jumper block on the inside that you use to change the unit from cooling mode to heating mode. You can find the manual online with a google search.

I am not familiar with other makes.

If it's a Ranco controller, you just need to switch it from Cool mode ("C1") to Heat mode ("H1"). That's Step 4 in the programming setup...

Cheers!

Back