Stupid Question? (tires/trailers)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgln

Reaction score
I just had a paving contractor put down millings on my stone (was mostly dirt) driveway. Anyway, when they were dumping the grass they took out into the dump truck the guy threw 2 medium sized tires off to the side along with a long piece of wood and 2 rakes, on was broken. Said he would come back the next day to pick them up but didn't. Called a week later said be there the next day but never showed. Called again a week later and another apology and again didn't show the next day. Been almost 2 weeks since and they are still there.

Ok, now to my question. The tires are inflated, but bald, but what is strange is they have rims but no center. No place to attach them to anything, no lug holes...no metal. Like doughnuts. No sign of broken welds, smooth. Is there a use for tires like that in his business?? The rims I mean? If only one I would assume the weld broke on the rim and they fell off a trailer but both of them???

I'm thinking now he found a way to dispose of his trash. I'll never use him again. Promises the world but totally unreliable.

Looks like they all have something in the center. These tires are about the size of a small car tire and flat like a car tire, not rounded like a wheel barrow tire.

Around here dumping tires is illegal. You have to pay to dispose of tires. Call the city, Once you explain situation, Im sure a visit or call from the local PD for illegal dumping will get him off his arse.

But First

Make sure you get "27 8×10 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one "

Around here dumping tires is illegal. You have to pay to dispose of tires. Call the city, Once you explain situation, Im sure a visit or call from the local PD for illegal dumping will get him off his arse.

But First

Make sure you get "27 8×10 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one "

Odd there is a pair though. Maybe they broke off a trailer at the same time?

But First

And there I was sitting on the group "W" bench..

I want to know if there is a purpose for them as well. At this point I would just keep the one good rake, use the other to stake a tomato plant and put the board in the barn, always can use lumber. I know where his business is, to get rid of them I could always just throw them in the truck and drop them off there. Easier than going the legal route IMO.

Just wondering if they are useful as they are to anyone. Never saw rims like that.

I just had a paving contractor put down millings on my stone (was mostly dirt) driveway. Anyway, when they were dumping the grass they took out into the dump truck the guy threw 2 medium sized tires off to the side along with a long piece of wood and 2 rakes, on was broken. Said he would come back the next day to pick them up but didn't. Called a week later said be there the next day but never showed. Called again a week later and another apology and again didn't show the next day. Been almost 2 weeks since and they are still there.

Ok, now to my question. The tires are inflated, but bald, but what is strange is they have rims but no center. No place to attach them to anything, no lug holes...no metal. Like doughnuts. No sign of broken welds, smooth. Is there a use for tires like that in his business?? The rims I mean? If only one I would assume the weld broke on the rim and they fell off a trailer but both of them???

I'm thinking now he found a way to dispose of his trash. I'll never use him again. Promises the world but totally unreliable.

Take it all down to his office/shop/house & dump it all; add some fresh dog$hit as a garnish.
Regards, GF.

My trailer has wheels with no centers. They are mobile home wheels. The trailer sits on a cut down mobile home axle. It's pretty stout, but they are not small. About the same size as regular tires. I suspect the same design could be used on just about anything.

My trailer has wheels with no centers. They are mobile home wheels. The trailer sits on a cut down mobile home axle. It's pretty stout, but they are not small. About the same size as regular tires. I suspect the same design could be used on just about anything.

Really? Let me do some searching on that. Yeah, took another look and they are not small tires but still smaller than a car tire except maybe a compact.

The wheels are wedged tight onto the hub. Depending on how big the axles are that the are used for decides how many spokes the hub has. 4,5,6. I be leave they are called Dayton wheels/hubs.

Look on the rims and you should be able to see spots evenly spaced on the inside where they made contact with the hub.

By tighten on nut at a time evenly you are able to mount the square and achieve a good wheel balance. Takes a little more time though.

If they don't pick them up take them to a trailer sales/repair shop or a mobile home sales/shop.

donut rims used to be pretty common on trailers. The hub on the axle has a star pattern and there are square blocks that the lug goes through. When you tighten the lugs the squares tighten down and center the wheel. Image search donut rim and you can see them.

But yeah he needs to come and get them, thats an asshat thing to do.

I finally took them to his house and dumped them in his driveway last month ago or so. I knew it was his house, had the address, saw paving equipment out back and his mom came out to see who I was. Told her and she was ok with it. Bet he was surprised to come home and see them back.

Back