Stupid question.. Is my beer fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon112

Reaction score
I got a hand me down bucket carboy from a friend. There is zero Air movement in the airlock, but there is a large yeast cake on the top of the liquid. Can I assume its fermenting but there might be a small leak somewhere? Maybe I will do a gravity reading in a few days.

Jon

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

Sounds like you have Krausen and some solid fermentation!

How long since you pitched the yeast? As I've been told 100 times, don't use the air lock as a device for measuring fermentation.

Even if you have a leak, the primary should have a enough internal pressure to keep the outside world out. You can always check by giving the stopper a little push and seeing if you get any movement in your air lock, but be careful... you don't want to push the stopper in... (at least that's a thought from me)

I have a leaky fermenter. I'm 100% sure of it, but it doesn't bother me a bit. As long as you have everything at least covered to prevent foreign objects from entering the vessel (or disturbing the CO2 blanket over the beer), you should be completely fine.

Sent from my spaceship in low orbit.

The only way to know if your beer is fermenting is by taking gravity readings. That being said, buckets are pretty notorious for not making a complete seal. But this is rarely ever a problem. A krausan on the wort is also a really good indicator that you have fermentation happening, but gravity is the only sure fire method.

Hey Bberg, nice signature :D

If you have krausen, there's no denying your beer is fermenting. If you've ever fermented in glass, it's quite obvious when fermentation is taking place: krausen forms, bubbles form, and the whole volume roils and boils with activity. In plastic buckets it's harder to see, but the krausen is a dead giveaway.

You don't need a gravity reading to know if fermentation is happening, but you do need a gravity reading to make certain that fermentation has ended.

If you'd like to see this beautiful sight, but you don't want to ferment in glass carboys (which is completely understandable), make a small beer, as if you were making a yeast starter: Boil a pint (1/2 quart) of water and stir in 1/2 cup of DME. When cooled, pour into glass quart milk bottle, or any glass or transparent plastic vessel. Add a fifth a packet of Nottingham, Cooper's or other inexpensive dry yeast. You can even use bread yeast if you want, you're not going to drink this. Shake it up well to aerate, and come back in a few hours. It's really an amazing thing to see! :)

This short video is a batch of Ale I caught right at the beginning of fermentation, before the high krausen build up: Beautiful :rockin:

Brew on Brothers!

Since it's very obviously fermenting, wait two weeks to take the first gravity reading. Doing it sooner is wasted effort and simply increases the risk of contamination.

Well the yeast cake now blew the top off my primary and went through the airlock . so ya its fermenting :)

I've had the same problem before where it appears that there's no activity but the beer ended up fine. How long after did you notice fermentation started?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well the yeast cake now blew the top off my primary and went through the airlock . so ya its fermenting :)

Just a FYI...

Yeast cake is what they call the stuff that settles to the bottom of the fermentor, you'll see that later. What blew the top off is called krausen.

So just a update. This batch is skeeter pee done in a leaky carboy so my airlock has no movement. At first there a crazy amount of krausen. It then went away and fermented normally. I just opened it up to take a look and there is more krausen!

Why would it go away and come back? Does that mean fermentation has started to go crazy again?

So just a update. This batch is skeeter pee done in a leaky carboy so my airlock has no movement. At first there a crazy amount of krausen. It then went away and fermented normally. I just opened it up to take a look and there is more krausen!

Why would it go away and come back? Does that mean fermentation has started to go crazy again?

fluctuating fermentation temps can cause the yeast to drop out and then once again start to eat available sugars.Try to keep your fermentation temps in check as to not stress the yeast.Or maybe you just saw some star san foam with a little bit of yeast on top,the foam dropped back into the wort and now you have a real krausen forming?

The bucket is white so I can't see whats going on, but it has been fermenting this whole time. I looked for the bubbles. The temp has remained the same this whole time. Its not a big deal, I have just never encountered this

Back