Stupid question about the boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjm02c

Reaction score
During the boil is there any need to monitor the temperature if you're not steeping grains? I know to take off the heat when adding the LME so it doesn't scorch, but other than that can I just let it boil away?

When its boiling its time to relax some. :) And think about how your going to cool the wort down to the right temperature before adding the yeast.

The boil doesn't need to be spitting mini volcanoes though. Boiling temperature is boiling temperature for your elevation above sea level. Applying more heat than necessary to the bottom of the kettle only risks scorching and darkening the extract more than normal.

Less chance of a boil over while you're relaxing.

The boil doesn't need to be spitting mini volcanoes though. Boiling temperature is boiling temperature for your elevation above sea level. Applying more heat than necessary to the bottom of the kettle only risks scorching and darkening the extract more than normal.

Less chance of a boil over while you're relaxing.

Yeah i didn't even think about that!

Thats why everyone around here would probably recommend a big kettle.

I have a electric system so i really don't have to worry about boilovers too much just the beginning.

Again good point.

Yeah I've only got a 5 gallon kettle currently, so I'm going to do a 2.5-3 gallon boil with top up water later to prevent a boilover

Flars makes a good point. Once you hit the hot break point after the boil begins, foaming settles down and keep it at a gentle roll...no need for more unless you are aggressively boiling hard to a certain reduced volume more quickly. If you are adding top off water as you mention, this is unlikely to be the case.

aggressively boiling hard to a certain reduced volume more quickly.

Semi related question, I was listening to a podcast yesterday and they said something that made it sound like the gravity increases during the boil, but that sounds wrong to me. They were talking about an all grain brew and I have no experience and fairly limited knowledge about the process, so I was wondering if I heard that part correctly.

Yes, your boiling off water so the density of the wort will increase. Less water with the same amount of sugar/fermentables.

This is density. The blue one on the right is what happens when you boil, pretty simple really.

Density-Definition.png

I always set my burner to the same setting for the boil so I will get a predictable amount of boil loss. I BIAB with full water volume, so keeping records and knowing how much I will lose to grain adsorption, boiling, and sampling allows me to calculate my strike water volume for different batch sizes.

TomVA

Semi related question, I was listening to a podcast yesterday and they said something that made it sound like the gravity increases during the boil, but that sounds wrong to me. They were talking about an all grain brew and I have no experience and fairly limited knowledge about the process, so I was wondering if I heard that part correctly.

Well, your sugars do get concentrated, yes. This is a main focus to all grain brewers who test the gravity before they boil. If you lose a certain amount of water due to evaporation, the sugars become more concentrated and the gravity goes up since there is less dilution.

Example: After I did my all grain mash I had 6.75 G of wort at 1.040. I did a 60 min boil, lost 1.25 gallons of water, now I have 5.5 G of wort that goes into fermenter. This more concentrated wort (5.5G) now has a gravity of 1.048. Even though gravity appeared to have gone up, it is a simple matter of being more concentrated.

Well, your sugars do get concentrated, yes. This is a main focus to all grain brewers who test the gravity before they boil. If you lose a certain amount of water due to evaporation, the sugars become more concentrated and the gravity goes up since there is less dilution.

Example: After I did my all grain mash I had 6.75 G of wort at 1.040. I did a 60 min boil, lost 1.25 gallons of water, now I have 5.5 G of wort that goes into fermenter. This more concentrated wort (5.5G) now has a gravity of 1.048. Even though gravity appeared to have gone up, it is a simple matter of being more concentrated.

Your gravity did go up. It didn't appear.

Its more "concentrated" because you boiled off water only - not sugar.

your gravity did go up. It didn't appear.

Its more "concentrated" because you boiled off water only - not sugar.

As posted: Well, your sugars do get concentrated, yes. This is a main focus to all grain brewers who test the gravity before they boil. If you lose a certain amount of water due to evaporation, the sugars become more concentrated and the gravity goes up since there is less dilution.

During the boil is there any need to monitor the temperature if you're not steeping grains?

Addressing the other end of the question, you should never be steeping grains in a boiling kettle! I doubt that's what you meant, but better safe than tannin.

Yeah, I just didn't want people saying I needed to maintain a certain temp while steeping grains (since I won't have any) and I forgot that it's not actually boiling at that point. But thanks for the warning!

Back