stupid question about priming sugar / style of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IreRye

Reaction score
im trying to figure out how much priming sugar to use by using tastybrew.com calculator... but it doesnt have Irish Red ale on the list... what would i use?

im trying to figure out how much priming sugar to use by using tastybrew.com calculator... but it doesnt have Irish Red ale on the list... what would i use?

I really hate priming calculators, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

most people who are drinking a bottled beer aren't drinking a beer necessarily "to style". What I mean is this- using that calculator means you can have a flat beer (a stout recommended at 1.5 volumes- in other words, flat) or bottle bombs (a weizen at 4+ volumes). Most people who buy commercial bottled beers are accustomed to a co2 volume of 2.2-2.6 volumes. While it's true that if you're drinking a real ale in a pub it might be a cask beer with a beer engine (and pretty flat, and cellar temperature), it's not usually a bottled beer that is 'to style'. I think the whole carbing to style idea is overdone.

For lower carbed beers, I like .75 oz of corn sugar (by weight) per finished gallon of beer. That would be a stout, for example. For others, especially lagers, I use 1 oz of corn sugar per finished gallon of beer. That works perfectly, and I never have overcarbed or undercarbed beer. Those calculators are wonky.

Back