Stupid Question about beer storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beek

Reaction score
My first brew is in the primary right now. My moron question is, once it's bottled and carbonated, do I need to store it in the fridge? I just don't have room in my fridge for 60 bottles of beer. Can I kill the yeast once it's carb'd and just store it in my basement? Thanks y'all :mug:

Don't store the beer in the fridge once it has been bottled. You want to keep these bottles at room temperature for at least 3 weeks for the yeast to create CO2 and carbonate your beer. Once this has been done then place a few bottles in the fridge for 3-5 days to get the yeast to drop out and drink your glorious nectar from a glass.

Please don't kill the yeast, they are your friends! Long term storage at "cellar temps" after they have carbed up properly, preferably 55-65F or so, is fine. Just store them in a cool dark place and restock the fridge as you have room.

So storing at "cellar temps" won't cause the yeast to overcarb? Or is it just when all the sugar is used up by the yeast it doesn't carb anymore? I just don't want exploding bottles in my basement.

So storing at "cellar temps" won't cause the yeast to overcarb? Or is it just when all the sugar is used up by the yeast it doesn't carb anymore? I just don't want exploding bottles in my basement.

Storing your beer at cellar temps is very ideal for healthy beer and won't be the cause of exploding bottles. What will cause some bottle bombs is having too much priming sugar in the bottle or having an infection. You have the proper amount of remaining yeast in the beer to eat the corn sugar and carbonate the beer. How much sugar did you use for your batch and what gallon size was the finished batch?

Exactly.

I have properly primed bottles in my basement that have had a birthday sitting down there. Mainly Porters, Stouts, and high gravity stuff that benefits from aging. Hoppy low gravity stuff is best consumed relatively fresh.

Back