Stupid me. Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loujitsu82

Reaction score
I attempted to brew my first batch on a brand new(to Me) system:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/new-brewing-rig-181800/

I brewed an English Mild. The recipe called for 1.28 lbs.(6 gal batch) of flaked corn. I forgot to add to mash! Idiot! It hit my estimated OG on the money but I also had a low strike temp so I turned on the burner(which I did not know the capability @ this time) on my MLT and brought the mash temp all the way to 160 f. Cooled it down ASAP but the high temp held for 10-15 Min. (Oh yeah, ice works grreat for cooling!) I then poured my sweet wort(approx .5 qt) into my chiller instead of my boil kettle. Murphy's law was in full swing.

How can I recover? It tasted bitter. Tannins from high mash temp. Missing body from lack of flaked corn. Please advise. I don't want to pour out my firt batch with my new rig.:drunk:

RDWHAHB. 160ºF is a perfectly valid mash temp. If you're tasting tannins, maybe your sparge pH is climbing too high.

Thanks for the RDWHAHB.

I may have jumped the gun on tannins as my ph was looking good. I converted this recipe from an extract recipe and forgot to account for the extra hop utilization from the full boil. Maybe the taste of the fuggles just seemed unbalanced from missing the flaked corn.

Can I Add corn sugar? Should I Mini mash the missing corn and add it now? or just leave it be

Corn sugar will have the opposite effect of flaked corn. Don't do it.

The bitterness is normal in a gravity sample. It's supposed to taste sweet and extra bitter. The flavor will mellow out.

I'd just let the recipe go and enjoy the results at this point. It might be slightly different, but who cares.

I agree, just let it go. I brewed a best bitter recently and had efficiency problems so had to boil for 90+ minutes to get the proper OG. Did not adjust hops, wort tasted way too bitter. Now drinking it and it's just fine.

Now you've got some corn on hand for something else!

Good to hear. Thanks guys. This is going to be a quick fermenter, I'll post the outcome when its ready.

This beer actually came out very drinkable despite my mistakes:rockin:. Going to bottle it today

Glad to hear. I think accounting for gravity or specialty ingedients like spices or flaked corn is great for practice or for nailing a specific taste or attribute, but if you're just trying to brew a tasty beer, call it a day and just enjoy it, there's always the next batch!

Popped open a bottle and its delicious. 7 day fermentation & 6 days bottle conditioned. Maybe not an award winner but high production and very refreshing!

Back