Stumbled on a great combo!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wanted to try out my new DIY Black & Tan Spoon, but I didn't have any stout in the fridge. So, I thought I'd try Black Butte Porter instead. I also didn't have a bitter on hand, so I thought I'd try Pilsner Urquell.

Well, not too surprisingly, there is NO chance that these two beers will ever create the layers required for a proper (or even improper) black & tan. However, the resulting blend is REALLY tasty! It's kinda like a schwarzbier, if I had to tag a style to it. I'm gonna go mix another!

Oh man, I'm so druck right now but I just had to try that too! I have Elk Rock's IPA and my own Slumpbuster Porter in the glass right now. I can't even begin to describe how it tastes, but it tastes damn good.

black_and_tan.jpg

Yes, that's a pickle jar.

Wikipedia says this about Black and Tans
"The style is believed to have originated in pubs in Britain with drinkers ordering a mix of dark stout and draught bitter. The name is first recorded in 1889[citation needed], though an earlier origin of an 18th century blend of porter and pale ale has been conjectured. "

I was thinking of using Jamils Robust Porter, or an Edmund Fitzgerald clone, along with Edwort's Haus Pale for my black and tans on St. Patricks Day.

Black Butte Porter has got to be one of the best commercial porters on the market.

Back