Stuff Floating In Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2LowJimbo

Reaction score
I just bottled a batch of Irish Red Ale and have some white stuff floating in the top of each bottle - looked in on them after a week. In the late 80's I moved to a house and got a crud in the top of every bottle (that affected the taste of the beer) even though I am (and was) fanatical about sterilization. I assumed it had to be something either in the water or air there and quit brewing for many years because of it. Now this is my 10th batch this year and don't know of anything I did different. Any suggestions? Thanks - Jimmy

Is the yeast sediment still on the bottom of the bottles? Could it be that? Interesting (and unfortunate) problem, I have no idea?

Yeast sediment is on the bottom - this looks almost like white powder with chunks.

If the beer smells and tastes fine and there are no gushers when you open them then the beer should be fine. If you open one and they gush, smell and taste bad then you have an infection of some sort. If it is every bottle then it could have been a problem with the batch itself or your sanitizing procedure for bottling and capping. If it's just a few bottles then it is just a bottling issue.

new bottles, soaked in bleach water, then rinsed in percarbonate solution and rinsed with water, drained on bottle rack then immeadately filled and capped with boiled caps. Cleaned bottling carboy and siphon hose with percarbonate solution too. We tasted one and so far no off taste. I'd still like to figure out what happened - getting ready to bottle a batch of bourbon barrel vanilla porter and don't want the same problem.

http://https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/
Read this stickie:

It sounds as though you have some residue from either the bleach or the percarbonate solution, the fact you have no off flavors is good though so you they should be fine. In the future I would recommend you begin using Oxy clean or PBW for cleaning and Star San for sanitizing. Also, if you thoroughly rinse the bottles after each pour and then drain all you need to do is apply Star San prior to bottling-do not rinse and don't fear the foam!

I agree,it's likely residue from cleaning solutions. I use PBW & starsan exclusively. Rinse the PBW out/off with water. Starsan is no rinse & breaks down into yeast nutrient.

Back