Stuck Sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullhawk

Reaction score
I brewed my first all grain batch yeterday, my mashing tempatures were within 2 degress so I was happy until I started to drain the MLT and found a stuck sparge. I blew in the ball valve hoping to free the stuck area and was unable to. So I was forced to dump my my mash into my lauter tun, cleared the clog and dumped the mash back into my MLT. I use a dome false bottom in a 10 gallon home depot cooler, grains got underneath the false bottom and choked up the hose that runs from the false bottom to the ball valve. 1st question is how do I prevent this in the future? 2nd question is there a better setup for a false bottom in a 10 gallon cooler?
Last question what about a Bazooka system looks smiple enouth?

I am guessing that you are batch sparging? Domed false bottoms are more appropriate for fly sparging in that you want no channeling and you are rinsing the grain at a very slow speed. For batch sparging you get to just drain the tun as fast as you want/can. I have a bazooka style screen in my hd cooler and I have never had a problem. Always Vorlauf about a half gallon+ at a nice slow speed to set the grain bed, then I open her up full. I did use rice hulls in my last batch as it had a bunch of adjuncts so that is also an option. I hear a handful of those goes a long way. Good luck.

Why not try a paint strainer bag in addition to your dome-top false bottom? You can get them at Big Orange for $4/2pk. That'll keep the grain from creeping under the false bottom and makes your clean-up a snap. If it works to your liking, you can always order a better bag from Wilser Bag (he makes them for 10 gal coolers and he posts on HBT.)

I have the exact setup that you have Bullhawk. The same thing happened to me once. If using wheat always use rice hulls. A to fine of a crush can cause a stuck sparge and vorlaufing to fast can also cause stuck sparge. Vorlauf slowly to set the grain bed then open it all the way.
Best of luck

Back