Stuck sparge when draining too slowly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddiewould

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've got a 10g Rubbermaid cooler with false bottom. I've found that draining stops (and I have to open up wider and recirc) if I try and drain too slowly.

What would cause this and what can I do to fix it? I'm fly sparging in a 3 tier configuration.

grain particles could be getting past the false bottom and the slow flow allows them to build up at some choke point stopping the flow over time. do you use rice hulls? that could help. i used to fly sparge until i tested a batch sparge and found the difference in efficiency to be so insignificant that i stopped fly sparging. the savings in time were worth it for me.

It would be useful to know the grist of your mash. Huskless grains like rye and wheat will definitely cause problems. Not knowing any additional details, I would try adding rice hulls. I use them every time I brew just for extra insurance. They are inexpensive, usually add $1 to a ten gallon batch. Give them a try.

grain particles could be getting past the false bottom and the slow flow allows them to build up at some choke point stopping the flow over time. do you use rice hulls? that could help. i used to fly sparge until i tested a batch sparge and found the difference in efficiency to be so insignificant that i stopped fly sparging. the savings in time were worth it for me.

Maybe I will switch to batch sparging. I have to say fly-sparging with my current setup is very stressful.

Maybe I will switch to batch sparging. I have to say fly-sparging with my current setup is very stressful.

people who are chasing efficiency might be among those who like fly sparging but it's decidedly not critical to good efficiency or good beer.

Back