Stuck sparge question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffmanAK

Reaction score
Hey there folks, so after 2 years of all-grain brewing had my first stuck sparge over the weekend. I wanted to ask if it's feasible that old grain could have contributed to it. The story is a friend of mine had like 50 lbs of some 2-row she bought like 4 years ago (uncracked). So she gave it to me. I used her old 2-row for about 1/3 of the base grain needed. Before that I tasted it and tasted my fresher 2-row, they tasted the same so figured it was ok. I also have my mill gap on a fairly small setting 0.39. I've done at least 3 batches with this setting and no issue before. My suspicion is the mash tun, and I'll be modifying it some, but wanted to see if anyone out there can definitivly say "that 2-row is too old, toss it".

Thanks!

It all depends on how it was stored. I personally wouldn't use it though, too much work to risk poor conversion.

Well yea kindda what I thought too. It was stored in a cool dry place (I'm in Alaska, it's cool and dry here most of the time).

I'm willing to give it a shot mixing it in with 2/3 fresher 2-row just sorta wondering if it could contribute to a stuck sparge.

Yeah I really don't think it could cause a stuck sparge, and if it's been cool and dry maybe it's fine. I'd probably do a small test mash with 100% of it and see if it converts okay.

Back