Stuck Rack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay1

Reaction score
I secondaried a an IPA with about 3oz of leaf hops in a plastic bucket. This is the first time I've used a bucket for anything but sanitizing. I wanted to use a bucket so it would be easier to add my dry hops.

My initial plan with racking this to the carboy was to put some hose on the spigot and let it run into my purged Corny. After about about two pints the spigot got clogged with the dry hop. Then I decided to use a regular racking cane with a filter on it to keep it from getting clogged. FAIL. It clogged right away.

Pissed off and not knowing how to get the beer out of the bucket I sanitized a coriander, a large funnel and 2' section of blow off tube. I attached the blow off tube to the bottom of the funnel and used the coriander to filter the hops. I purged the heck out of the Corny, crossed my fingers and dumped it in.

What the hell! This is the first time I've ever had any trouble like this. Any tips on how to do it better next time? Whats the likelihood that I oxygenated it by dumping it into a purged carboy?

Thanks

What kind of filter did you put on your racking cane? I wrap mine in a paint strainer bag and never have any problems.

That's a lot of coriander:D I assume you meant colander.

If you used a hop bag with a stainless steel washer your dry hops will sink and do a great job without clogging anything. That's what I would do next time.

That's a lot of coriander:D I assume you meant colander.

If you used a hop bag with a stainless steel washer your dry hops will sink and do a great job without clogging anything. That's what I would do next time.

HA!

Yeah that's what I'll do next time. I used a hop sock for the filter on the cane. The beer was completely full of hops. Usually when I dry-hop they all float but this worked out really well.

Back