Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning everyone, I am new here and this is my first batch of homebrewing mead and my first post about it.
First of all, telling that I am making 5 litres of mead, using 1.9 kg of honey and safale S-05 as yeast, so it achieves 12% aprox.
It has been already one month since it started, so I changed the fermenter and read the hydrometer, which showed 1.074 (didn't read at the beginning). It was then when it stopped fermenting. I supposed it was an infection, but I cannot see any kind of bacterial film. Then I tried to restart the fermentation using part of the mead to activate more yeast, added a bit of glucose and DAP and waited. It started again, but after half a day, it stopped again.

Any idea of what can it be and how can I get through it?

Attachments

• Mead_batch_1.jpeg
    Mead_batch_1.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Mead_batch_2.jpeg
    Mead_batch_2.jpeg
    26.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Maybe not.
OG may have been 1.167 or higher.
FG 1.074 is possibly around 15-16% ABV.
It's probably finished.

Oops, I misread the batch size (we don't use metric). It's around 12% ABV, closer to the yeast alcohol tolerance.

Well. It is my first patch, so I was no confident at all. So thank you very much for your help. This means a lot to me as I want to spend more time homebrewing!
Thank you and merry Christmas

Back