Stuck golden strong ale!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewHound

Reaction score
Hoping for some advice!
Last Tuesday I brewed a golden strong ale. Have made this twice before from Zainasheff's recipe and never had a problem. Made a large starter from wyeast 1388 and pitched on wednesday morning after both had reached room temp. 48 hours, later very little activity. Went to HBS on friday and grabbed 2 more 1388, activated, and pitched early Saturday. Bucket has a little pressure in it, but no airlock activity. At 1.05 when I pitched the two packs on saturday am so still a long way to go. Fermentables included 3# cane sugar which I understand could be an issue, but never has been before.
Help!

Relax.. the yeast is working if the gravity dropped. Belgian yeast can sometimes take some time to finish....It has only been less than a week. Give it some more time.

What temp is it at now?

Here is a good quote from Brew Like a Monk.

"Let the fermentation finish, perhaps at a higher temperature. It may take as long to get the last few points of attenuation as it did for the first 80%"

You do know that airlock activity means nothing.

This is just out of the norm for this one. Typically fermentation blasts off and is almost finished within 48 hours. Just looking for a clean flavor from a quick finish with this yeast. I just moved it from a 68ish degree environment to a warmer 75ish area of my house and gave it a swirl. Was worried that maybe not enough o2 was in there but used the same technique as always.

You should be good.

Belgian yeasts can be a little tempermental. I usually don't even check gravity for at least 4-6 weeks on most of my Belgian brews. I have had them take off like crazy and had them just slowly chug along for weeks. As long as you don't let them cool down, they will continue to work until they finish.

1388 is a really low floccer that takes a long time to finish. The yeast will stay in suspension and slowly drop the gravity.

Thanks guys! I appreciate it! I'll just sit tight for a while and check it next weekend. In 4 years of brewing with a lean toward Belgians, this is new ground for me.

Back