Stuck Fermentation??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reddog68

Reaction score
Mornin' all. Need a little advice here. Brewed a batch of nut brown ale on Friday, the OG was 1.050. Pitched some dry windsor yeast (no starter) around 5pm and by 10 i could see some activity.....sweeeet:ban:. Bubbled away vigorously all day yesterday, and this morning----nothing. What is up? I usually see activity for at least 3 days. The only thing i changed is the yeast, i have been using liquid but i wanted to change it up a bit. :mug:
Temperature is 73 degrees.

If you brewed on friday, and it is now sunday, I wouldn't be worried about a stuck ferment yet! It's only been 2 days

Great thread Revvy, puts it all in perspective! I think i will take a reading...is there an easy way to draw out of a carboy? Other than sanitizing the cane and hose?

I just took a reading (turkey baster!!) and it is 1.018. I guess i am alright. WOW, i have never had a fermentation take off so fast. I don't think i am going back to liquid yeast, that stuff usually took at least 24hrs to start.

I use a wine thief to fill my test jar.

Is yours the kind you use your thumb to close up the back to make the vacuum, or the one with the nipple tip...I have the nipple tip, and have a hard time pressing it to the side to drain into the jar...

I just took a reading (turkey baster!!) and it is 1.018. I guess i am alright. WOW, i have never had a fermentation take off so fast. I don't think i am going back to liquid yeast, that stuff usually took at least 24hrs to start.

Well dry yeast DOES have a higher cell count...

So what have we learned today? Airlocks mean nothing, and the hydrometer is your friend...Now just because it's down, doesn't mean you're ready for the next step...just let is sit for a week or more to let the yeasts clean up after themselves.

I have only used liquid yeast 3 times but each time the yeast took off in a matter of a few hours. I like liquid yeast. I make a quart sized starter with four huge table spoons of Pale DME. I let it sit for 24 hours or so. It seems to work great.

Latest posts

Back