Stuck Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doogie312

Reaction score
I brewed a West Coast IPA on Labor Day (9/2). Pitched two packages of Omega West Coast Ale (OYL-004) yeast at 70*. Original gravity was 1.067, final gravity is supposed to be at 1.016 according to the recipe. The brewing bucket has been in a kegerator turned fermentation chamber with the addition of an Inkbird temperature controller. The temp has been between 67-69*F since brew day. The bubbling from the air lock stopped about two days ago. I just checked the gravity and I'm only at 1.030. What can I do to get it closer to 1.016?

Need more info brother. Recipe, mash temps, ferm temps. What was the date on the yeast pack?

Did you check with a hydrometer or refractometer?
The latter needs a correction formula applied since there is alcohol present.
A hydrometer doesn't, the reading is direct.

Did you check with a hydrometer or refractometer?
The latter needs a correction formula applied since there is alcohol present.
A hydrometer doesn't, the reading is direct.
I used a refractometer for both readings. How do I calculate the offset with the alcohol now?

Thank you for the link. Using the chart on this link to convert the SG readings from the refractometer to Brix:
https://www.winning-homebrew.com/specific-gravity-to-brix.html
It looks like I'm ok with the corrected numbers?
584768-76ea781eba4ebf3b78e8661fae593d86.jpg

Pitched two packages of Omega West Coast Ale (OYL-004) yeast at 70*. Original gravity was 1.067
Next time consider making a yeast starter, using one pack. Save some out (to make a starter from for a next brew) and pitch the rest. And so on.
And/or harvest the yeast and use some for a next round, etc.

Yeast keeps on giving...

BrewUnited's Yeast Calculator

Back